shots for heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Mallen23":3dxrz99p said:
What are the list of shots that you typically give to replacement heifers?

state gives them a bangs vac... i give them blackleg and a combination lepto viral pneu type vaccine with boosters... dont know what its technically called, but what i have been giving is

bar vac 7 with somnus and
virashield 5 +vl5.. i think they have a 6 out now though.

not saying this is right for you, but that is what i have been doing.

good luck

jt

I've been giving Bovishield Gold 5 (or some variation on that) which is a Lepto 5-way, and then Ultrabac 8 which is an 8-way clostridum combo.

Vet gives the brucellosis "bangs" vacc, tag and tattoo. I believe it has to be done between 4 and 11 months.

With mine, I use the Ultra Bac-7 (Blackleg) for 7 diff. varieties of the clostridiums, Triangle-9+type II BVD for the viral diarrhea, pneumonia, lepto, Rhino etc. and have the vet come out for the Brucellosis vaccine, tag and tattoo.
That's what works for me in my area. Your needs may be different.

Katherine

If there's any doubt in your mind, a shot of Lutalyse at weaning sure makes me sleep easier!

We're currently using BarVac 7 for blackleg, ViraShield 6 and Pasteurella/Haemolytica for all the other stuff. Also de-worm with Ivomec Plus injectible. Vet of course does the Bangs vaccination and tagging between 4 and 12 months, depending on our other schedules for stuff around here.

Workinonit Farm":2d6vahq4 said:
With mine, I use the Ultra Bac-7 (Blackleg) for 7 diff. varieties of the clostridiums, Triangle-9+type II BVD for the viral diarrhea, pneumonia, lepto, Rhino etc. and have the vet come out for the Brucellosis vaccine, tag and tattoo.
That's what works for me in my area. Your needs may be different.

Katherine

Ditto! ;-) :cboy:

All those are good for calves. If you keep them for replacements I like the following. It is the Pfizer Gold Program. You could use other brands. 30 to 60 days pre breeding Bivi-Shield Gold FP 5 VL5 and worm. Pfizer say use dectomax. At preg check (mine is going to be 20 days after bulls are pulled) Spirovac L5.

Scotty

At preg check (mine is going to be 20 days after bulls are pulled) Spirovac L5.

My repro vet told me he can't tell with the ultrasound until 24 days past breeding, palpation ~35 days. I wouldn't think 20 days would be enough if a cow was in heat the day the bulls were pulled - unless your vet has another means of preg checking.

Sure does. Are we talking math or shots for heifers here. My mistake milkmaid.

Scotty

That's OK :lol: just wondering if you had an earlier method of preg checking.

Didn't mean to stray so far from the original topic. :lol: ;-)

No, just messing wiht TEXAN. I did buy some tests once. Sure is hard to get the pee on the end. Seams they don't want to stand. Sticking it into the vulva is 50 50 .

Scotty

Latest posts