Shots for calves

Help Support CattleToday:

HanknCali

Reaction score
We usually wait three months to vaccinate new born calves. This year we are running into some time frames/schedule conflicts where we either vaccinate calves early at 1-2 weeks old or not until the calves are around 6-7 months.
Anyone have experience giving new calves shots at 1-2 weeks old? We gave last years calves Bovi Shield gold 5, Ultrabac 8, tetanus (bulls) and pour on wormer.
Any experiences, input or recommendations appreciated.
Thank you

Really the only time I vaccinate prior to appx. 3 months is when a bull calf is banded day 1 or 2 (Covexin 8 ) or it's a late calver I'm going to wean early. Passive immunity should protect calves, primarily from clostridial diseases, BUT that's not always the case. I would consult your vet & follow his/her recommendations for your area (CA is definitely not KS).

I would be afraid to wait til 6 months on the Blackleg. After losing a couple of calves one year, at about 3 +/- months, that is one we don't let slide. At a couple of weeks, the vet says it isn't that effective due to maternal immunity, but I would rather see that than not. So I think better earlier than later. We don't worry with the tetanus if banding that young. Just don't do it coming up on the full moon.

We only use injectable wormer on calves . If the cows are vaccinated , pre weaning and or post weaning vaccination is acceptable depending on what's used. Personally , I think it's a waste of money vaccinating before 3-4 months , but that is just my opinion , and worth exactly how much you paid for it.

Studies have shown that calves younger than 3 weeks will have a poor immune response to vaccines. Best to wait until 3-4 weeks old.

depends on your farm.

my last farm had a lot of diseases in the soil. If I didn't vaccinate at birth I would lose most. I gave them scours, brd, pasturella, blackleg, naval pour, and tag.

Calves' immune system 'tanks' from about days 3 to 7; if you're gonna give anything, do it on Day One, or wait 'til they're 10 days or older.

I just attended a veterinary meeting last week, with major emphasis on immunity and vaccination. Based on the information presented there:
Only really 'safe' and effective vaccines that you should give calves in 1st week of life... intranasal respiratory vaccines like Inforce-3 or Nasalgen, C.perfringens C&D toxoid if 'overeating disease' is a problem in your herd. Any others... wait until the calves are at least 60 days of age. Maternal (colostral) antibodies have been shown to prevent response to the Clostridial bacterins at least for the first couple of months.

In general, intranasal mlv vaccines do not interfere with response to bacterins... but injectible mlv IBR vaccines will block immune response to bacterins administered at the same time... unless the animals have had a 'priming' dose of intranasal IBR administered previously (and recently).

Calves immune systems are not 'mature' until 10-12 months of age... so, if you're setting up heifers for pre-breeding fetal protection vaccinations... you need to do that as yearlings... mlv vaccines administered prior to or at weaning will not provide the desired protection.

Lucky_P - I give Inforce 3 at birth, then BS5L5HB & OneShot Ultra at 3 months & BS5L5HB & Ultrachoice booster at 4 months.
Do I need to hit the heifers a double dose again prior to breeding?
I have heard of the "bad days" 3-7 days old before but wasn't sure about that.

Latest posts