Shotguns for squriles

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbreed curt

Reaction score
My uncle won't use a shotgun for squriles. He say that it won't tear up the meat. One thing I know is that the ones he shoots have less but bigger holes. My dad says ," I gess he doesn't want to clean one cause he can't hit one for nothing. One time we kinda went tag team on a one. I shot first and it fell about 2feet and caght it's self. Then my uncle shot and it was kicking while falling down and I shot it out of the air.That was one dead squrile. Never mind that. As for me I use my HR1871 parnder in .410It is a nice gun for squriles. I was wondering what others use .I heard some of you talking shooting them whith .22 pistols. :cboy:

I don't know what sort of squirrels you have, but we peg them off with a .22 rifle and scope, usually bird shot (.22 shorts) if you can get within 25 ft, and .22 longs for further than that..

Best ever... shooting pigeons with a 7mm super mag rifle (we only hit one, we found some feathers)we were realyl shooting the scare them off

I like using a 22 just cause its more challenging. Have shot with both and agree a 22 will mess up the meat more if you get a body shot on them.

My kids call it target practice. We use 10/22's with scopes and they try for head shots. I don't like having to pick pellets out of them.

Some how it's my job to fill there clips and gut them when we go. They get the fun and I get to work.

I thought they were called tree rates?

Depends on the time of year and conditions. In the winter I like a T/C Contender. After the leaves have started falling and the ground is fairly clear I'll use a 22 rifle, early on I like a 410 or 20 gauge. The 410 is an old single shot but since I don;t bird hunt anymore I'll use either an O/U or SxS 20 gauge just cause I like carrying them.

We have squirrel hunting competitions here for charity fund raisers. An entry fee is paid by each team which goes toward the benefit. Rules are that we use .22's only and head shots are the rule. Any squirrel not shot in the noggin is scored at 0 points. The team with the most head shot squirrels is awarded a trophy. Then all the squirrels are skinned and roasted for all to enjoy. It is a ton of fun and you would be surprised at how much money can be raised. The last one we had we raised of 7500 dollars for a young boy with a brain tumor.

I like a .410 with a #4 shot for squirrels if I want to be sure I get them. Otherwise, a .22 scoped is another option, but like JO said, gotta hit them in the head.

The only squirrels I see on the ground are going 90 to nothing :lol2: I have to shoot them out of the trees.

crossbreed curt":pi9dg8yx said:
My uncle won't use a shotgun for squriles. He say that it won't tear up the meat. One thing I know is that the ones he shoots have less but bigger holes. My dad says ," I gess he doesn't want to clean one cause he can't hit one for nothing. One time we kinda went tag team on a one. I shot first and it fell about 2feet and caght it's self. Then my uncle shot and it was kicking while falling down and I shot it out of the air.That was one dead squrile. Never mind that. As for me I use my HR1871 parnder in .410It is a nice gun for squriles. I was wondering what others use .I heard some of you talking shooting them whith .22 pistols. :cboy:

Started out with a Model 12 16 guage a very long time ago and I am still packing it even though Momma bought me a new Browning pump 16 last year. Hunting cat squirrels in the big thicket you would need a red wagon of 22 shells, we don't have many of those slow dumb fox squirrels.

Any of you ever tried shooting squirrels with a pellet rifle. I have a 1000 fps Remington Rifle that I have hunted with and it is really fun. The squirrels will hardly run when you shoot at them and you can just keep shooting to you get-em.

garseer":1j53ofqi said:
Any of you ever tried shooting squirrels with a pellet rifle. I have a 1000 fps Remington Rifle that I have hunted with and it is really fun. The squirrels will hardly run when you shoot at them and you can just keep shooting to you get-em.

I never thought about playing with them, I am afraid if I came out with a pellet gun ole Rube would bite me.
We are pretty serious about putting them in the game bag to freezer bags around here.

Caustic Burno":1b390vf3 said:
garseer":1b390vf3 said:

I never thought about playing with them, I am afraid if I came out with a pellet gun ole Rube would bite me.
We are pretty serious about putting them in the game bag to freezer bags around here.

Is Ole Rube the Jack Russell?

How do you cook squirrel? Is it similar to rabbit?

Latest posts