Shotguns for squriles

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":tqklbp8y said:
Caustic Burno":tqklbp8y said:
garseer":tqklbp8y said:
Any of you ever tried shooting squirrels with a pellet rifle. I have a 1000 fps Remington Rifle that I have hunted with and it is really fun. The squirrels will hardly run when you shoot at them and you can just keep shooting to you get-em.

I never thought about playing with them, I am afraid if I came out with a pellet gun ole Rube would bite me.
We are pretty serious about putting them in the game bag to freezer bags around here.

Is Ole Rube the Jack Russell?

How do you cook squirrel? Is it similar to rabbit?

Yes Rube is a Russell I gradually quit the hounds over the years, can't go through the woods like I used to and getting to be to many people here. Never was able to get the game to stop at the fence or propety line. I understand there feelings as most of the dog hunters have brought this on themselves, climbing fences instead of using the gates, using crap eaters that would run anything that moved. The hog hunters have to be the worse with the pit bulls. They will go off and leave them in the woods and come back looking for them, most of the time they are buzzard bait for chasing chickens, cows you name it at some ones place. Also the hogs we have are not like your old Piney Woods Rooter when you could take a good dog and get the whole pack. These have Russian boar influence and scatter like quail and a fence doesn't mean anything to one. Used to be when you could sit on the porch at night and listen. Knew all the neighbors dogs back then you could tell that was Tiny's dogs running or treed. Used to have a good Redbone coon/squirrel dog , had Redbone pointer crosses for deer dogs and ran coyotes/bobcats with treeing Walkers. Russells are smart dogs and pound for pound nothing tougher they just need a few more pounds. Had an Airedale an that was one good hunting dog ,hunt what you wanted and tough enough to handle it. Hunting with dogs is a poor mans sport and tradition that has left East Texas except for a few old die hards. I only know of one other fellow anymore that squirrel hunts with a dog. As a kid and young man squirrel hunting was bigger than deer season ever thought about being here, woods would sound like a young war every season.
Wife fries most of mine then pressure cooks it for about five minutes lip smacking good with gravy and bisquits.

Sorry for being so long winded just remebering a time when neighbors got together and had some good times.

Angus Cowman":32fumc14 said:
i used to get a big box of 22 shell for christmas every yr so i could suirrel hunt
I had to hunt and fish as a child to keep food on the table. I remember as a child having to work in the garden so we could have stuff canned for the winter. When we went to the store it was paper items, milk, eggs, and baking stuff. I remember mom mixing whole milk and powdered milk for us to drink because it was cheaper.

Angus Cowman":32fumc14 said:
Kids today don't know nothin about hard times and simple life
Your right kids don't know anything about hard times and having a simple life. I'll tell the truth I thought I went thought hard times as a child and we was pore but now that I have grown up and see what's going on around me we had a lot compared to a lot of people.

I have squirrel and rabbit hunting on my kids list of chores every week when it's in season. When it's not in season I have them out target practicing every other week. My kids don't get what most kids get; but they don't know what hard times are.

mobgrazer":2bh7092d said:
Angus Cowman":2bh7092d said:
i used to get a big box of 22 shell for christmas every yr so i could suirrel hunt
I had to hunt and fish as a child to keep food on the table. I remember as a child having to work in the garden so we could have stuff canned for the winter. When we went to the store it was paper items, milk, eggs, and baking stuff. I remember mom mixing whole milk and powdered milk for us to drink because it was cheaper.

Angus Cowman":2bh7092d said:
Kids today don't know nothin about hard times and simple life
Your right kids don't know anything about hard times and having a simple life. I'll tell the truth I thought I went thought hard times as a child and we was pore but now that I have grown up and see what's going on around me we had a lot compared to a lot of people.

I have squirrel and rabbit hunting on my kids list of chores every week when it's in season. When it's not in season I have them out target practicing every other week. My kids don't get what most kids get; but they don't know what hard times are.
Hey!I'm only 11years old and get eggs in and also do farm chores every day. I also like to hunt and have put food on the table before.

crossbreed curt":1869w4j5 said:
Hey! I'm only 11years old and get eggs in and also do farm chores every day. I also like to hunt and have put food on the table before.
The only choice I had about hunting was there going to be meat for us to eat for the next few meals. During the summer I would be in the garden or canning with mom if there was a weeks worth of meat in the freezer.

I do remember one time I tried to hitch hick with a deer. It didn't work very well but I was over a mile form the house.

I grew up hunting them with a 12 gauge Ithica pump, number 6's, full or modified choke in the Sabine River bottom. And I remember using every bit of that 12 gauge to reach out and touch some of those wiley buggers. We'd dig the pellets out of them as we cleaned them, the best we could. We still hunted some and I had a feist that would sure tree a squirrel. She was fun to hunt with. Mamaw would take all of our squirrels and make a big mulligan a few times a year.

Angus Cowman":36cwlwl3 said:
dad said one of the best squirrel dogs he ever had was a feist I don't remember him I was only about3 when he died
dad was hunting with him one day and he just fell over dead (the dog not dad)
dad always thought he had a heart attack

I can sure see that happening. Brandy, my feist, would get extremely hyper and excited when she got one treed. And when she was working the woods looking for a squirrel, it was non-stop motion.

Using a shotgun on squirrels wasn't allowed when I was a kid. Shells were to expensive. We used 22 shorts and head shots, one thing about squirrels you usually get more then 1 shot. Dad taught us to line up ducks and puddle pound them. My first duck hunt with him he lined up 4 greenheads with the single 16 gauge. He never went for air shots. :clap:

yesterday shot one whith a 22. I a used to my 22 or my 410. I had my fathers 22 and five shels. The first four where misses but the last one I wished I missed. The bullet shot off for some reason and shoot low stricking that one bugger in the gut. It fell and loocked dead but when i got close it jumped up and ran. I chased it a little bit but lost it . I ran back to the house and got the dogs and more shels. I ended up chaseing that one arounnd in that tree for at least 2 hours. I finally saw it limp by at 20 yands and poped it in the head. I swore never to shoot aone of thoes buggers whith that 22 again.I can't bleive me. :mad:

crossbreed curt":1colbon5 said:
yesterday shot one whith a 22. I a used to my 22 or my 410. I had my fathers 22 and five shels. The first four where misses but the last one I wished I missed. The bullet shot off for some reason and shoot low stricking that one bugger in the gut. It fell and loocked dead but when i got close it jumped up and ran. I chased it a little bit but lost it . I ran back to the house and got the dogs and more shels. I ended up chaseing that one arounnd in that tree for at least 2 hours. I finally saw it limp by at 20 yands and poped it in the head. I swore never to shoot aone of thoes buggers whith that 22 again.I can't bleive me. :mad:

Shotgun. Enough said.

Shotgun leads to dental work. A good shot with a 22 and it's all over. :nod:

crossbreed curt":3tam06md said:
yesterday shot one whith a 22. I a used to my 22 or my 410.
If you don't want to use the .22, the .410 will do just fine.
I have used a .410 for most of the ones I have killed.

I meant to say "harvested". :oops: I am having a hard time with all these modern politically correct euphemisms. :?

Ryder":kqa48uld said:
crossbreed curt":kqa48uld said:

I meant to say "harvested". :oops: I am having a hard time with all these modern politically correct euphemisms. :?

When I was a young teenager, we shot them with pump-up pellet guns routinely. Prefer the 22 though as it would bring them down more cleanly. Dad wouldn't allow shooting them unless we ate them so, shotguns didn't seem like a good choice for us.

BeefmasterB":nl685aju said:
Ryder":nl685aju said:
crossbreed curt":nl685aju said:

When I was a young teenager, we shot them with pump-up pellet guns routinely. Prefer the 22 though as it would knock bring them down more cleanly. Dad wouldn't allow shooting them unless we ate them so, shotguns didn't seem like a good choice for us.
I was doing that yesterday whith a freind. I was mostly trying to keep them in a tree while he went for the 20 gage. :kid:

Latest posts