shot troubles

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i got one cow that is need of a shot of la 200 .....she has a discharge from both eyes & a little snot in nose....... she is at 1000 to 1100 lbs........i have a 18 guage 1 inch......i just cant seem to get her to accept the shot......i have only a small pipe shoot 42'' x 88'' [to much room] in there for her...she got so mad today she was digging in the dirt with front leggs & blowing real hard.......can i just pen her alone & feed her meds in food ??........thanks.....she is more of a pet & i'm dont like to cause her stress...thanks

[email protected]

Get her in the chute and put a rope on her - don't choke her down with it, make it into a halter and snug her to a post. Have your LA200 drawn up and ready to go ahead of time. It will only take a few seconds to give her the shot under the skin.

> i got one cow that is need of a
> shot of la 200 .....she has a
> discharge from both eyes & a
> little snot in nose....... she is
> at 1000 to 1100 lbs........i have
> a 18 guage 1 inch......i just cant
> seem to get her to accept the
> shot......i have only a small pipe
> shoot 42'' x 88'' [to much room]
> in there for her...she got so mad
> today she was digging in the dirt
> with front leggs & blowing
> real hard.......can i just pen her
> alone & feed her meds in food
> ??........thanks.....she is more
> of a pet & i'm dont like to
> cause her stress...thanks

I can get a feed product at my local feed stor which contains CTC in sufficient quantities to stop such outbreaks in a herd, If you can feed her separatly, yes such feed is often available.

Also, I had the need to give a shot to an un-manageable steer destined for my freezer. In such a case a shot in the rump doesn't matter. I borrowed a shot-cane, essentially a hypodermic on the end of a 48" long stick. I could get that close to his behind, and he got his shot! You may be able to borrow such a shot stick from your local vewt, that's where I borowed mine.

Eaglewerks

> Get her in the chute and put a
> rope on her - don't choke her down
> with it, make it into a halter and
> snug her to a post. Have your
> LA200 drawn up and ready to go
> ahead of time. It will only take a
> few seconds to give her the shot
> under the skin.

[email protected]

> I can get a feed product at my
> local feed stor which contains CTC
> in sufficient quantities to stop
> such outbreaks in a herd, If you
> can feed her separatly, yes such
> feed is often available.

> Also, I had the need to give a
> shot to an un-manageable steer
> destined for my freezer. In such a
> case a shot in the rump doesn't
> matter. I borrowed a shot-cane,
> essentially a hypodermic on the
> end of a 48" long stick. I
> could get that close to his
> behind, and he got his shot! You
> may be able to borrow such a shot
> stick from your local vewt, that's
> where I borowed mine.

> Eaglewerks

Maybe some one can tell us for sure,but I beleive antibiotic shots have to,are need to be given in the muscle to be effective,and I beleive it is to be given in the rump. Someone verfiy that or correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

[email protected]

vet always tells us to give antibiotic in the neck la200, nuflor all those kinds in the neck

goes in the neck. Sub-Q, IM, EVERYTHING. If it says it can go either IM or Sub-Q is preferred. And if I forgot to mention it, it goes in the neck.

dun

T.D., cows have muscles all over their body, just like humans. Just because the rump is big, doesn't mean it's the place a shot needs to be given.

LA200 is approved for sub cue administration. It should be given under the skin.

Any medication that is recommended to be given intramuscularly needs to be given in a specific area of the neck muscle.

The drug manufacturers have been working to change their formulas and testing to allow as many injections as possible to be given sub cue. The instructions given by the manufacturer or the veterinarian need to be followed.

A shot in the muscle is absorbed at a different rate than a shot under the skin is. This can affect how well the medication works.

It's hard to get the word out to everyone as to how and where shots should be given, but the manufacturers, veterinarians, and processors have been trying to educate the public about this subject for several years now.

> Maybe some one can tell us for
> sure,but I beleive antibiotic
> shots have to,are need to be given
> in the muscle to be effective,and
> I beleive it is to be given in the
> rump. Someone verfiy that or
> correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

Dun, It is my understanding the Only Reason for the shots in the neck are because of the possible discloration or damage to the meat on an animal heading for commercial slaughter. At least that is what my vet has told me, and also the same info from the competing vet, who had to make a visit here last fall.

The actual wording from the Vet when I had to do the steer that will be for my freezer was: "It he is heading towards your freezer, it doesn't make a darned bit of difference where he is shot, just get it into muscle, his rump is fine, just get it into him. If he's going to a packing house they want it in the neck only. Pretty soon they will be telling us where in the neck."

Can you or anyone else comment on this?

Eaglewerks

> goes in the neck. Sub-Q, IM,
> EVERYTHING. If it says it can go
> either IM or Sub-Q is preferred.
> And if I forgot to mention it, it
> goes in the neck.

> dun

[email protected]

That is correct, and by the way they do tell you where in the neck. The neighbors butchered a steer that they had raised for their own table. When it was butchered, the disgusting looking green abcess looking thing in the middle of the round steaks made him ask about the BQA thing he had been hearing about. It damages the tissue, normally it's only scarring but it does make the piece of meat have a strange texture at the shot site. Enough shots and you loose a good deal of the better cuts. But, to each his own

dun

> Dun, It is my understanding the
> Only Reason for the shots in the
> neck are because of the possible
> discloration or damage to the meat
> on an animal heading for
> commercial slaughter. At least
> that is what my vet has told me,
> and also the same info from the
> competing vet, who had to make a
> visit here last fall.

> The actual wording from the Vet
> when I had to do the steer that
> will be for my freezer was:
> "It he is heading towards
> your freezer, it doesn't make a
> darned bit of difference where he
> is shot, just get it into muscle,
> his rump is fine, just get it into
> him. If he's going to a packing
> house they want it in the neck
> only. Pretty soon they will be
> telling us where in the
> neck."

> Can you or anyone else comment on
> this?

> Eaglewerks

This is true. I don't know about you, but I really don't want to eat an injection site. I suppose after withdrawl time, it is safe enough...but YUCK! I think it's easier to shoot them in the neck anyways...as long as you have a head gate.

<A HREF="http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/beef/g1351.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/beef/g1351.htm</A>

dun

> i got one cow that is need of a
> shot of la 200 .....she has a
> discharge from both eyes & a
> little snot in nose....... she is
> at 1000 to 1100 lbs........i have
> a 18 guage 1 inch......i just cant
> seem to get her to accept the
> shot......i have only a small pipe
> shoot 42'' x 88'' [to much room]
> in there for her...she got so mad
> today she was digging in the dirt