Shot site swollen

Help Support CattleToday:

cowkeeper

Reaction score
I gave a sub-Q antibiotic, 8cc to a calf and the site swelled. What did I do wrong? I did use a new needle. The previous shot in the other side, I had no problem. Thanks.

Nothing to worry about. Some shots cause swelling/lumps. If it gets bigger then it's time to be concerned. Keep an eye on it, some lumps/bumps take a long time to go away, some never do. As long as it's on the neck you've done what was needed.

Possibly would have been better to give 4cc in two locations. 10cc is normal for cows, but calves should be 5 or less per spot (may vary by drug). Also, you "may" have gotten some of the drug into the muscle.

You could have also pricked a blood vessel and caused a hematoma. I have had that happen to me once and it eventually went away.

Duck

I did a sub-q on a brahman cow last spring that swelled up with a lump...looked like a golf ball under the skin...it cleared up by the fall.

Yes, the lump feels hot. It has been five days since the shot. The previous one, same amount same antibiotic, left no lump. It is on the neck.

Heat indicates an infection, most likely the needle introduced a bit of dirt or something and an abcess has formed. Normally you would clean it real well and lance it to drain, but I hesitate to recommend that if the animal is already having medical issues. Why were you giving antibiotics in the first place?

Hopefully someone else will chime in...

When in doubt, call the vet. That is why they are there, the cost of a calf is worth much more than a vet bill.

A visit during the week is reasonable and even if the vet finds nothing wrong and tells you to just give it time, it's a win win situation.

JMO

Latest posts