SHOT PROBLEM

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

HAD A SICK CALF.........ABOUT 5 MONTHS OLD.......STILL ON MOM........CALF GOT SICK.......GOT OUT THE SHOT....LA 200 ......STUCK THE CALF .....IT WAS ON GROUND BEFORE SHOT.........AS SOON AS I GOT IT IN..........CALF GOT STIFF AS BOARD......EYES ROLLED BACK.....I GOT SCARED........STARTED TO RUB CALD HARD...IT CAME AROUND & IS BACK WITH HERD HAVING A GOOD TIME......WHAT WENT WRONG?.......DID I HIT A BLOOD VIEN...?. IS THIS KINDA COMMON FOR THE EYES TO ROLL BACK......LIKE I SAID I WAS VERY SCARED.......THNAKS GUYS..
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> HAD A SICK CALF.........ABOUT 5
> MONTHS OLD.......STILL ON
> MOM........CALF GOT SICK.......GOT
> OUT THE SHOT....LA 200 ......STUCK
> THE CALF .....IT WAS ON GROUND
> BEFORE SHOT.........AS SOON AS I
> GOT IT IN..........CALF GOT STIFF
> AS BOARD......EYES ROLLED
> BACK.....I GOT
> SCARED........STARTED TO RUB CALD
> HARD...IT CAME AROUND & IS
> BACK WITH HERD HAVING A GOOD
> TIME......WHAT WENT
> WRONG?.......DID I HIT A BLOOD
> VIEN...?. IS THIS KINDA COMMON FOR
> THE EYES TO ROLL BACK......LIKE I
> SAID I WAS VERY
> SCARED.......THNAKS GUYS.. yes you hit a vien,it hit him all at once. I gave a horse with collic a shot like that, its scary.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

When giving IM shots, stick the needle in first without the syringe. If you hit a blood vessel, blood will come back out the needle. If no blood comes back out the needle, then attach the syringe and give the shot. Make sure you know the anatomy of the animal well, and know that you are giving the shot in a muscle.

However, LA200 should be given under the skin. That would solve your quandry and remove the danger of entering a vein. It's important to give shots exactly as directed by the mfg. or the vet. The medication is absorbed at a different rate depending on how deeply the injection is given.

It's possible the calf was stressed by the illness and the further stress of contact with you and getting the shot made it react as it did. It's also possible you gave the shot in an area other than a muscle. However, to be certain, give injections in the proper site and as directed. Ask your vet to show you how and where to give injections.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Where did you give the shot (neck, shoulder, rump, etc.)? Also did you give it IM, or SQ, and what size needle did you use?

*******************************

> HAD A SICK CALF.........ABOUT 5
> MONTHS OLD.......STILL ON
> MOM........CALF GOT SICK.......GOT
> OUT THE SHOT....LA 200 ......STUCK
> THE CALF .....IT WAS ON GROUND
> BEFORE SHOT.........AS SOON AS I
> GOT IT IN..........CALF GOT STIFF
> AS BOARD......EYES ROLLED
> BACK.....I GOT
> SCARED........STARTED TO RUB CALD
> HARD...IT CAME AROUND & IS
> BACK WITH HERD HAVING A GOOD
> TIME......WHAT WENT
> WRONG?.......DID I HIT A BLOOD
> VIEN...?. IS THIS KINDA COMMON FOR
> THE EYES TO ROLL BACK......LIKE I
> SAID I WAS VERY
> SCARED.......THNAKS GUYS..
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Where did you give the shot (neck,
> shoulder, rump, etc.)? Also did
> you give it IM, or SQ, and what
> size needle did you use?

> ******************************* thanks to all who replied........it was a 18 gauge in neck just under the skin..where the folds begin at.......this is where i was told....old timer said it better than butt ......because it wont knot up.... thanks
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Unfortunately, the 'old timer' gave you very bad information. Never, never, never give injections in the hind quarter. You could potentially be damaging very prime areas with will result in deductions on the kill floor. Beef Quality Assurance programs strongly urge all injections, whether IM or subQ, to be given in neck regions.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Unfortunately, the 'old timer'
> gave you very bad information.
> Never, never, never give
> injections in the hind quarter.
> You could potentially be damaging
> very prime areas with will result
> in deductions on the kill floor.
> Beef Quality Assurance programs
> strongly urge all injections,
> whether IM or subQ, to be given in
> neck regions.

Old timer said the neck was better than in the butt. How is this bad information? Did you read it wrong?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Again, according to BQA standards, injections outside the neck triangle areas are NEVER an option... Unless, of course, one is proficient enough and has the capability to find veins on the underside of the tail?
 

Latest posts

Top