Shot of resflor......NOW WHAT?

Help Support CattleToday:

shawn_boroviak

Reaction score
Had a nice bull calf down this morning with labored breathing and not moving around. Contacted the vet who advised that it sounded like pneumonia and provided 6 cc of Resflor. The office staff did not give any further instructions. Is this medication something that either works or it doesn't or is there more that I can do? How long before the noticed effects of the medication?

Check with the vet to see when you can give another shot if needed. Usually noticable results within 12-24 hours

I am green as a gourd so I have no clue what the difference in the 2 are. Carried the calf to the barn and got the cow in with him. Gave the shot and have already experienced unbelievable results. He has went from unable to move and barely breathing to up and walking a little bit.

shawn_boroviak":2m4rw5xz said:
I am green as a gourd so I have no clue what the difference in the 2 are. Carried the calf to the barn and got the cow in with him. Gave the shot and have already experienced unbelievable results. He has went from unable to move and barely breathing to up and walking a little bit.

I've had good results with a single dose. Knock on wood. Good luck with the calf.

fitz

Usually one dose works.. but in a few cases, my vet has given me two doses to administer 48 hours apart.

Would give another round Friday or Saturday to be sure. Had mixed results from 1 round of Nuflor/Resflor, lots better results with 2 rounds. Calf is worth too much to take the risk of only 1 shot.

2x texas. Check the temp in two days and its high give another shot. If not let it be unless the calf is acting weird. The banamine will work in a an hour or two and break the fever. Its amazing once you drop the fever how the animal responds.

Just to follow up, the calf continued to get better then took a wrong turn and got a little worse. Another shot of Resflor and he is battling back again. Talked to the vet again due to continued labored breathing and we now have a B12 shot. I hope everything works out for this little guy because he looks like a heck of a calf and I have put quite a bit of time and money into him.

Good luck Shawn. Keep on top of it. And keep talking to your vet. Sometimes these things hit hard and quick, you can not let your guard down!
And thank you for the update! :D

shawn_boroviak":1idzzg6f said:
Just to follow up, the calf continued to get better then took a wrong turn and got a little worse. Another shot of Resflor and he is battling back again. Talked to the vet again due to continued labored breathing and we now have a B12 shot. I hope everything works out for this little guy because he looks like a heck of a calf and I have put quite a bit of time and money into him.

I'd of switched to draxxin on the follow up just :2cents:
The relapse is usually worse than the initial, good luck

Latest posts