Shot in the Dark

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Just been notified that the breeder in Dewey Rose, Georgia will be ready for me to pick out my two bred heifers at the end of July or first of August. I think some of y'all have told me that it's going to be like Texas and hottern' he!!.

So, I'm looking for tips on how to cool a cattle trailer down to make the trip home (14+ hours). I realize I should be making frequent stops and off loading them for water and rest, but I don't have any idea where I would be able to do that. I've thought of a mister system that people use with hogs, but I've read where using that with cows really only creates a sauna for them. I've never hauled anything close to that long in this kind of heat. Kicking around the thought of driving thru the night, which appears to be my best option at the moment.

I have a 11 hour run from here to Fire Sweep. I have moved them at least once in August and a couple times in July. My policy is to load them and only stop moving when I have to get gas. They always come off thirsty but are absolutely fine.

We never worried about watering the cattle until the first horse tied up and died. Kinda like a canary in a mine. lol

slick4591":31yqnyz3 said:
Just been notified that the breeder in Dewey Rose, Georgia will be ready for me to pick out my two bred heifers at the end of July or first of August. I think some of y'all have told me that it's going to be like Texas and hottern' he!!.

So, I'm looking for tips on how to cool a cattle trailer down to make the trip home (14+ hours). I realize I should be making frequent stops and off loading them for water and rest, but I don't have any idea where I would be able to do that. I've thought of a mister system that people use with hogs, but I've read where using that with cows really only creates a sauna for them. I've never hauled anything close to that long in this kind of heat. Kicking around the thought of driving thru the night, which appears to be my best option at the moment.
Slick you can usually find some sale barns that will let you off load, water your cattle and give them some feed if you ahve it. The really good ones probably won't even charge you for it. Misting is ok as long as your driving but they'll dry out pretty fast. Soak them down good before you take off and it should keep them good for a couple of hours.

If only 2 put one in front and one in back. Drive through the night and give them water a coouple times when you stop for gas. Cattle leave here every week heading to western Nebraska and are never unloaded.

I do a fair bit of hauling, IMO best thing you can do is load them up and hammer down. Get another driver if you can/ need to. At night is your best bet, cooler and less traffic= better time. Don't unload til you get home. Offer water when you get fuel but don't be surprised if they don't drink. Make sure your trailer has plenty of room and air flow and they will be fine. The least amount of time on the trailer will help them more than anything. Like Kenny said they ship cattle that far and then some everyday, they don't offload and they don't stop. They do haul azzz though.

TexasBred":1gqnhf3g said:
slick4591":1gqnhf3g said:

Slick you can usually find some sale barns that will let you off load, water your cattle and give them some feed if you ahve it. The really good ones probably won't even charge you for it. Misting is ok as long as your driving but they'll dry out pretty fast. Soak them down good before you take off and it should keep them good for a couple of hours.
usualy I would say drive and don't stop. but your going a long way during the absolute worste time of the year. hard on man, beast and tires. and you cant really rush 14 hours . TBs plan is what I would shoot for. travel at night, rest the cattle during the day, and get yourself a room. I honestly don't think of a salebarn that would say no.

TCRanch":150jhum6 said:
Do you know someone with an air conditioned horse trailer you can borrow or rent?

The only person that I know is an ex-wife and I can assure you that won't happen!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Like I thought it appears the night haul is the way to go and we'll shoot for straight thru. I'd be too concerned driving in 100F. Fortunately the other driver is my age and we don't get to pass many rest stops.

Have them delivered. Out of sight, out of mind. Unless there is some underlying condition, they will be just fine. In the shade with a 75 mph breeze....

Farm Fence Solutions":1cn2s642 said:
Have them delivered. Out of sight, out of mind. Unless there is some underlying condition, they will be just fine. In the shade with a 75 mph breeze....

If I do that I have to settle for the two she decides to send. There's around 20 to go thru and I'm the first on the list.

slick4591":3tyg3cxd said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3tyg3cxd said:

If I do that I have to settle for the two she decides to send. There's around 20 to go thru and I'm the first on the list.

Like Nesi said, turn it into a little bit of fun instead of work. Either way, it's always fun picking out some new stock.

kenny thomas":2xroj0s2 said:
Or I could just pick them up for you. I'm closer plus they would be going north so it should be cooler.

Now that's a great offer! Guess I'll stay with the night plan tho as I still want to go thru them myself. They have not all been bred to the same bull and I want a say in the choices. Thanks for the offer, Kenny!

I agree with running at night. Bring a cheapo box fan, ext cord and adapter with. If you need to stop for more than a few minutes, put the fan on to at least move the air a bit. FYI, any person in the show cattle world will advise against hauling with a wet hide. There is a reason they always blow cattle dry after washing, and it's not just to train hair. A wet hair coat will actually trap heat and cause a rise in body temp.

Still trying to gear up for this trip and it looks like it'll be after the first of August. I'm now looking at four heifers instead of the two as a former customer of mine want me to haul two for him. Around Jackson, MS is about the halfway point and I've found two stock yards that'll overnight my heifers, so I'm looking at two days on the return trip. Anyone have any experience with Tadlock Stock Yard in Forest, MS or Meridian Stock Yard?

Latest posts