Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague":2verwlwj said:
Looking for some slick haired Shorthorns. Anybody seen any?
Not since the early '70's. The Amer. Shorthorn Assoc is actually looking for them also. Seems they know they have lost it trying to make the breed into "Show Freeks" with that long hair and extreme phenotype. If a breeder had some old polled or horned cattle before the dairy Shorthorn and other breeds ruined the breed- he could be sitting on easy street with the semen sales from those cattle!

Larry Sansom":wk95c3jg said:
Tod Dague":wk95c3jg said:
Not since the early '70's. The Amer. Shorthorn Assoc is actually looking for them also. Seems they know they have lost it trying to make the breed into "Show Freeks" with that long hair and extreme phenotype. If a breeder had some old polled or horned cattle before the dairy Shorthorn and other breeds ruined the breed- he could be sitting on easy street with the semen sales from those cattle!

If I recall correctly an old rancher between Cleburne and Whitney Texas had some, had a dairy also. Let me see if I can dig his name up.

Please PM me the number. If you come across any more please let me know.

Thanks
Tod

Campground Cattle":2xzrlukx said:
John Kenedy in Blum Tx I have his phone number if interested.

Larry Sansom":14zvxt9w said:
Tod Dague":14zvxt9w said:
dairy Shorthorn and other breeds ruined the breed[/b]

Call Me ignorant, but the Milking Shorthorn is a very old breed. Even if they were a part of the same herd book, the dairy strain had been bred seperately, how does that ruin the breed?

Matt":1nr1hfpm said:
Larry Sansom":1nr1hfpm said:
Tod Dague":1nr1hfpm said:

Call Me ignorant, but the Milking Shorthorn is a very old breed. Even if they were a part of the same herd book, the dairy strain had been bred seperately, how does that ruin the breed?

They've been selected for totally different characteristics. Milk rather then muscle. You would end up loosing a lot of yield grade and also add way too much milk

dun

Tod Dague":25wg1jk8 said:

Tod, my neighbor has run Shorthorns for years. They're slick haired and horned. I'll find his number and PM it to you later today. He has been running a black Limi bull on them the last couple of years, though.

What is a slick shorthorn? I ask because I have a friend that has several registered shorthorn cows, they are not all furry or anything, they just look like any other cow in the summer or winter.

I have Red Angus. Some are slick haired some are not. Most cattle will look some what slick when it is hot. But when it is cold the slick haired cattle will have a shorter less wooly coat and will shed their coat faster as the temps go up. This is not a desirable trait for showing cattle but great for production oriented cattle in warm areas.

Monica":lb6fiyoq said:
What is a slick shorthorn? I ask because I have a friend that has several registered shorthorn cows, they are not all furry or anything, they just look like any other cow in the summer or winter.

Even Brahmans grow a winter coat which they lose in the spring. I have always understood that slicking off early is associated with fertility. Maybe that is what the shorthorns are looking for.

dun":1gz597oi said:
Matt":1gz597oi said:
Larry Sansom":1gz597oi said:
Tod Dague":1gz597oi said:

They've been selected for totally different characteristics. Milk rather then muscle. You would end up loosing a lot of yield grade and also add way too much milk

dun

My point is they're not the same thing, Milking Shorthorn are not Shorthorn, their not meant to be used as beef (exept dairy steers), so I can't see how your losing anything.

Tod Dague":1e5n0v2s said:
dairy Shorthorn and other breeds ruined the breed

It isn't/wasn't the Milking Shorthorns that ruined the breed. It was the Chi and Maine influence that brought them to where they are today.
The whole hair issue is based on the length of hair that the show/clubby SHorthorns have. It's almost as extreme as the differnce between a regular haired weaniedog and the long haired version.
We have one Red Angus that never really slicks out, but with her it's more of a woolybooger look then just long hair.
The shorter hair I don't think is really a fertility thing as much as it is a heat thing affecting the viabliity of the embryo because of the increased body temp of the cow.
Just my opinions of course

dun

Latest posts