Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Coyote":1q3qaz95 said:
My example would be if that animal that was introduced into Shorthorn, had a defect like TH it would be in there for a very long time as we are finding out.
Even if an animal was 255/256 I believe TH would still be present, but I maybe wrong.

Point taken, Coyote. There would be some left, unless you were specifically selecting away from the traits that were bred in from outside the line. Thankfully something like TH is easily eliminated (carrier on both sides = dead calf), if we can convince the Shorthorn Association to quit registering ANYTHING TH positive.

Anyway, I am against allowing appendix animals into the closed registry, however the beef breeders voice is pretty small when its put up against the show breeders.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1g80e76b said:
Anyway, I am against allowing appendix animals into the closed registry, however the beef breeders voice is pretty small when its put up against the show breeders.

Rod
How many Show Breeders are they compared to the Other Breeders; ie Beef Breeders or Performance Breeders?

la4angus":2tmz293a said:
How many Show Breeders are they compared to the Other Breeders; ie Beef Breeders or Performance Breeders?

I honestly don't know, and probably should not have made that comment without any more intimate knowledge. I do know that the breeders I've spoke with who feel that appendix animals should be allowed back into the closed registry were all show breeders.

But I have by no means talked to them all, and making generalizations is dangerous. If I've offended anyone, I apologize.

Roid

Could be that a decision like that goes to an all-members mail-in vote, or it could be in the hands of the directors, in which case it could be decided by show people. Who knows?

Latest posts