Shorthorns in the cajun country area?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Anyone know of any shorthorn breeders in the La, Mississippi, or east Texas area? Perhaps the next bull addition will be shorthorn, but when I searched for them I only found one breeder in our state, Louisiana.

cypressfarms":11q5ogew said:
Anyone know of any shorthorn breeders in the La, Mississippi, or east Texas area? Perhaps the next bull addition will be shorthorn, but when I searched for them I only found one breeder in our state, Louisiana.
that dont suprise me,, there's only one listed in alabama,,their not as popular in the south as they used to be.......not that theres anything wrong with em but the lack of numbers might be a good indicator for you.

alacattleman":3j1m2fsx said:
but the lack of numbers might be a good indicator for you.

Are you indicating that they don't hold up in the deep south? Not about to start a fight, just asking your opinion

cypressfarms":3vytajpw said:
alacattleman":3vytajpw said:
but the lack of numbers might be a good indicator for you.

Are you indicating that they don't hold up in the deep south? Not about to start a fight, just asking your opinion
only indicating the fact that their scarce here .... that to me be a red flag not to go that direction,,, they would probably hold their own as any other british breed in the south, as far as heat and insects

The V8 Ranch is in Boling, TX. Probably more well-known for their Brahmans, but also raise Shorthorns. Not sure if they have been raising Shorthorns as long as the Brahmans, but they have been successful in the showring with them. Not sure what your goal is, but they are breeding for the show ring. Couldn't hurt to look at their website though, www.V8Ranch.com

Ryan

There are several southeast breeders listed on the ranch sites page on this web site.I would also talk to Rene' Vera at Lake Charles La.His website is verashorthorns.com.He has brought Shorthorns in from Ne.several times and can share his experience if you had to go outside the area to find what you need.

cypressfarms":3diby3l5 said:

I can fix you up with a good Red Poll bull. :)

In your environment, if I was really dead set on using Shorthorn I would just skip and go straight to Gerts

dun":lf1ily7i said:
In your environment, if I was really dead set on using Shorthorn I would just skip and go straight to Gerts

I'm not dead set on anything :lol2: , but found it intriging that there were very few shorthorn breeders in the south. Been giving a lot of thought into the next bull I get for the farm. Have been thinking about a Simmi for a few years now, but don't want to exclude any potential breed which may be beneficial.

cypressfarms":3gyp5nri said:
... but don't want to exclude any potential breed which may be beneficial.

If that is the case then, I can set you up with a real stout Texas Longhorn ;-)

Ryan

Ryan":31gfr1fd said:
cypressfarms":31gfr1fd said:

Ryan

:clap: You do have some really nice looking longhorns Ryan!

cypressfarms":7f6dvhmv said:
Ryan":7f6dvhmv said:
cypressfarms":7f6dvhmv said:

Ryan

:clap: You do have some really nice looking longhorns Ryan!

Thank you.

shorthorns are good cattle. i'm fond of the roans. in fact my favorite beefmasters tend to be the ones that show their shorthorn influence.

there just arent that many around the south anymore and the ones that are are screwed up showcattle. (no offense)

i dont think there is really any good reason for shorthorns having declined in popularity over the years, i think its mostly just that angus and hereford are the more well known of the british breeds and they sort of got pushed to the wayside.

having said this, shorthorns do have a problem with TH and have gotten a reputation for clubbiness.

i wouldnt mine using some shorthorn bulls if i could find some quality ones nearby.

Whats a good maternal epd for a shorthorn bull? His son has no epds listed, How maternal is he? He looks to be very powerful. Would he be a good canidate for keeping replacements out of? If i were to use a shorthorn bull i would want a red one due to buyers at the sale barn cutting you down for the roan or spotted pattern.

Baldie Maker":1xw23ifx said:
Whats a good maternal epd for a shorthorn bull? His son has no epds listed, How maternal is he? He looks to be very powerful. Would he be a good canidate for keeping replacements out of? If i were to use a shorthorn bull i would want a red one due to buyers at the sale barn cutting you down for the roan or spotted pattern.

I'm not sure I have answers to all your questions. As far as maternal EPD's for shorthorns, based solely on my limited experience I have to think a short horn with low milk numbers wil still have more milk than some breeds. As far as the son not having much for EPD's. I would have to believe they are not gonna be that different from his fathers. Being close to the breed leaders for low birthweight it makes sense to me that they would be a lot more maternal than terminal. What color are your cows? That will have a big influence on what color even the red one would throw. We have bred them to a hereto black Gelbvieh bull and got everything from red roans to solid blacks out of red roan cows. One thing is for sure those Shorthorn and Shorthorn cross cows make some real good mommas. Especially when crossed back to an angus. ShorthornxGelbvieh/Angus seems to be a great program at least for us. The first cross heifers calved easily and milked like holsteins. They also have very good dispositions.

That's about all I can tell you

If you read through V8s website they got into Shorthorns because one of their daughters wanted to win supreme Texas showperson and even with the best show Brahmas in the state it took showing a second breed to score enough points to win that honor. I would guess that Shorthorns weren't quite as competitive as Herefords or Angus in Texas so winning blue ribbons might have been a little easier there too. Fascinating stuff, but I don't find that to be a compelling reason to use them in a commercial setting. They also think their herd is the southernmost Shorthorn herd

I've said it before and I'll say it again, If you can make a living at whatever you do, and it is legal, the more power to you. A lot of shorthorn breeders in the U.S.A. make their living (or at least a portion of it) selling show calves. That is great if that is what you want to do, but don't confuse this with the business of taking energy from the sun in order to grow plants (usually grass) and turning this into a nutritous food for human consumption. Brandonm22 you hit the nail on the head. Using cattle that are bred to win ribbons is not a good idea for a commercial beef operation.

In response to the original question - sorry I don't know of any shorthorns in the cajun country area, but we are within 2200 miles of your place. :) :) :)

Latest posts