Shorthorn x Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
This blue roan heifer I gave to my grandson for helping me. She is from a black Gelbvieh dam ai to white shorthorn and she is ai to a Gelbvieh bull what color of calf will she have? Taking bets she will calve in next two days or so.

Branguscowgirl. my calves are pretty much the typical Gelbvieh color.. golden red, though there are black ones, but they're typically called Balancers... Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :roll:

Ok, so based on Nesi's answer my guess will be Red roan on the calf, (If the sire was red.) But if the sire was black, I will say blue/black roan like mom! :D
What's the prize to this contest? :p

branguscowgirl":2hj3dakl said:
Ok, so based on Nesi's answer my guess will be Red roan on the calf, (If the sire was red.) But if the sire was black, I will say blue/black roan like mom! :D

that was my answer so I guess if we win we can split 50/50

If the sire is red or hetero black 50:50 chance of red or blue roan, if the sire is homo black blue roan

Well she did it this morning had to help fair sized calf nice color not what I thought would be.Grandson will be home from school soon he will be happy just what he wanted a girl and gelbvieh color. Forgot to post prize it is a pizza and beer at my place when are you all coming?

tamarack":1r4irkmi said:
Well she did it this morning had to help fair sized calf nice color not what I thought would be.Grandson will be home from school soon he will be happy just what he wanted a girl and gelbvieh color. Forgot to post prize it is a pizza and beer at my place when are you all coming?

Nesi won! :clap: :clap: Good thing, because he is probably the closest to you to claim that prize! :D
Congratulations! I am sure that your grandson will be very proud of that calf!

Wow, not even white markings!, but I got the basic color right!

It's darned luck I got it right... One of my best cows had her 6th calf... 5 previous times bred to solid colored bulls, 5 solid colored calves.. this time he's got white socks and a few white hairs on the forehead... darned shorthorn pattern coming back somehow! Still a nice calf that I'll wait on banding until he's a few weeks old, his fullblood brother was probably one of the nicest guys I ever raised, though I wish this one were solid red.

Yours looks like a nice calf, though she might throw some white feet or roan in *some* of her calves. Keep us posted on how she grows, I think she'll turn out nice!

wacocowboy":v5qmm4ge said:
branguscowgirl":v5qmm4ge said:

that was my answer so I guess if we win we can split 50/50
Waco you should have sided with Nesi! :lol2:

Latest posts