Shorthorn x calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Here is some pics of shorthorn x calves off my comercial cows.
008.jpg
a shorthorn x semi
014.jpg
shorthorn cow x speckle park bull
015.jpg
This little cow is 2years old she weights 650 lbs but weaned a 450lb calf her mother was a small red angus ,and this cow looks normal but is just tiny.
octdrought013.jpg
a char x herf with shorthorn calf you can get good calves using the right shorthorn bull. I have not figured out how to put pics first then captions after help!

Caustic Burno":2fjrcchw said:
The problem with that cross here is the wild colors would get you hammered at the sale.
Yep, and I hate that. I sure like some of those SH x calves.

Isomade":aadalrb5 said:
Caustic Burno":aadalrb5 said:
The problem with that cross here is the wild colors would get you hammered at the sale.
Yep, and I hate that. I sure like some of those SH x calves.

Put a homo black bull on them should produce some great calves, down side is you would have to hold on to the cows till their teeth fell out. When it comes to crossbred here it had better be Hereford/Brimmer
Hereford/Angus, Hereford/Char. or no one wants them. Left out Hereford /Brangus

Caustic Burno":f2ped0mx said:
When it comes to crossbred here it had better be Hereford/Brimmer

I buy a lot of hereford cross cows because they are easy and they are discounted. The rwf bred black are my favorite.

Why are Href x so popular in east Texas?

Stocker Steve":32nftdhd said:
Caustic Burno":32nftdhd said:

I buy a lot of hereford cross cows because they are easy and they are discounted. The rwf bred black are my favorite.

I sell some beef that goes to east Texas and that first calf pictured would be a winner with that white mark on its forehead and belly. I use a white faced Braford bull x with mostly black angus cross cows, some red and charlois. It's marketable, although they say beef prices are steadily rising, I have been very satisfied since I have been using these bulls. I mean, I think it's the bulls cross, over the market avg. that is keeping them bringing them their value. I have a couple of cows that can't help but bring calves with a wild long horn color, it's too bad. I am proud of the calves and eat all I can and sell the rest. The last steer like that I went ahead and sold and he even did surprisingly good, only a nickel shy from his herdmates. So whatever, if they got the weight and height I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure not gonna cull an easy keeping fertile cow over her calf color, unless things get tight. Then she would go first! :)

Stocker Steve":1pgdutfn said:
Caustic Burno":1pgdutfn said:

This is commericial cow country people want a crossbred cow to put a teminal bull on.
They a looking for a low maintainence cow that will raise lots of pounds to haul to the salebarn.
They want that calf black, baldie or mottle face. No wild colors as then everyone thinks longhorn.
Black Baldie and Tigers are not discounted here they bring a premium along with Brangus.
Char bulls are becoming very popular here, the buyers like the high yellow baldie, Angus and Herford have been

When I was a kid there were quite a few Shorthorns in this area never see one now except as a show calf.
Then they want hair and colors. They are a fine breed that has lost popularity in this area, and IMO it's due to they throw calves that look like a box of crayon's. Used to see a lot of Guernsey's as well when I was a kid, I don't remember the last one I saw. IMO CAB has driven a lot of the trend along with more educated Cattlemen and Buyers wanting to maximize the free pounds in hybred vigor of the 3 way cross.

Latest posts