Shorthorn steers.

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
Ok, I haven't been able to find reliable information on the following question, and few to many people I ask give me varing answers. So to you who raise shorthorn steers for show, or for butchering: Are shorthorn steers hard to finish? What I mean by that, do they gather fat in the right places around the tail head and in the cod properly? Or does it take extra time or a certain feed?

Thanks!!

A lot of "show" shorthorns are harder to feed. The old school genetics are better for feed efficiency than the new blood lines. I think most show shorthorns look best as calves and go down hill after that. Just MO

Just curious. Where can you find the older shorthorn genetics? Are there any decent sized shorthorn breeders producing for beef and not for show?

We have been using some older genetics trying to produce an easier keeping animal . I find that those animals that are hard to finish come from parents that are hard doing in the pasture.

How far are you willing to travel? I know a couple of breeders in Missouri that might be what you are looking for. They are old school breeders and one of them I know never uses appendix animals in their herd.

Like all breeds there is variation in the feeding ability of the different bloodlines of Shorthorns.Cattle that I have fed will typicaly grade 60 to 75% choice at 15 mo.I have talked with other breeders with similar bloodlines that have had the same results.Feed efficiency and tenderness are also traits that the classic Shorthorn is known for.I am developing a bull calf for herd sire duty whose sire was born in 1969 and his dam is linebred to a sire born in 1978.For what its worth the sire of this calf has some phenominal carcass numbers for REA,Backfat,and marbling with some of the highest accuracies in the breed to this day.

Well, I have no idea where Apple Valley is - and I have never raised SH to the finished product - but I have sure enough used them in the commercial herd we once had - and I can take you to western Canada and show you some darned fine SH herds.

They are a heck of an animal if you have the right genetics.

They finish just fine - and grade real well

Bez+

Thank You, for all the information! I have been calling local breeders, and they have said the same things. So, I think I will be getting a shorhorn steer for my 4h project this year!! I've always raised Angus, Angus X, and a Maine Anjou X steers before and its time for a colored steer!!!

My daughter has raised several shorthorn steers and we have never had a problem finishing one out. This year she has a steer out of Radioactive and he gains GREAT. He is 12months old and weighs 1035.

greenwillowhereford II":27ps9qyf said:
I would prefer to take my chances with a Shorthorn over Maine or Chi.

I would agree.....especially if I was eating the end result.

Latest posts