Shorthorn Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

shortyjock89

Reaction score
This is Shorthorn steer that I raised. He is a June Kool x Sonny. I wanted to know what some people thought about him since i have left him in the barn under fans since october. I like honest opinions! thanks :D

100_1462.jpg

100_1458.jpg

I like him. I like shorties. They just stand out to me. he looks nice and thick and deep enough. From what I can see has pretty solid legs. Might like to make him a little longer throughout though... but thats just being picky, and i like a lot of length. Very nice steer overall, good luck with him. looks like you've been working with him quite a bit.

He's not thick enough for how big he is frame size. Would also like to see him cleaner fronted with more extension in his neck. Needs more dept in his flank for how old he is.

He is plenty deep in his flank, don't really know how you can say that.. If anything he could stand to be a little neater up front. A good clip job to tighten him up in a few places would really change the way he looks. Sure he could be a little bigger butted but he is a shorthorn after all, be happy his feet point in the same direction. A good shorty with 4 good feet and a butt like a maine will garner $7500 plus in the right hands.

mturner719":3oi63795 said:
He is plenty deep in his flank, don't really know how you can say that.. If anything he could stand to be a little neater up front. A good clip job to tighten him up in a few places would really change the way he looks. Sure he could be a little bigger butted but he is a shorthorn after all, be happy his feet point in the same direction. A good shorty with 4 good feet and a butt like a maine will garner $7500 plus in the right hands.

Going by how he looks in the pic Matt. Plus he don't have the but of a maine, so don't be expecting no $7500 for that calf. $2000 maybe $3000 at the most.

Thats a really nice steer, he has alot of style but it also looks like he has a little bump in his back. Plus he doesn't look very happy after being tied up for so long. If you show him yourself, you should do very well. Good luck.

Cowboy 2.0":w8ekkfj9 said:
mturner719":w8ekkfj9 said:

Going by how he looks in the pic Matt. Plus he don't have the but of a maine, so don't be expecting no $7500 for that calf. $2000 maybe $3000 at the most.

Look how much hair he has on his underline. You tighten that up and his flank will be a lot more proportioned with the rest of his body. I never said he was a $7500 steer. I said a good short with 4 good feet and a maine butt was worth $7500. This one here has the muscle of a short not a maine. I think this steer with a good clip job should be worth $2500 all day.

i would be thrilled to get $2000 out of him, let alone $2500. Not making excuses, but that bump that you see on his back isn't really there..not sure why it is in that pic.. And you guys are absoultely right, he needs to be cleaner fronted and clipped up a little better but he hasn't been out yet this year and i just roughed him out for some quick pics but I will say, he is actually very thick for his frame size, but it's hard to see from pics...thanks to all who have responded!

He's a hairy guy, in the pic he seems to need another rib . I would like to see him wet right out of the wash rack. when i buy steers for 4-H kids that is how i want to see them the jocks hate it, but the steers i have bought for 4-H kids have worked out and done alot of winning. Don't get me wrong hair is needed but if the steer isn't there underneath, hair won't fix all problems. As far as the steer needing to be cleaner i like a bit of room it will tighten when he is full. He looks like the type that will look better when he is finished. As for the rear quarters he is a shorty and won't have the hip of a limo. Overall a pretty good steer. Good luck hope you get a good price for him.

I'd love to have him, but I don't have the time or money at the moment as we are buying yet another heifer. I absolutely adore his hair, ours are going bald right now and fans don't seem to be helping. (we went from 40 to 80 in three days :roll: ) I wish you luck.

Latest posts