Shorthorn Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

As some of you know I recently purchased three Shorthorn cows for a small Ozark farm I own.

The pastures are only about 12 acres and in decent fescue. I can rotational graze and still cut hay for winter. I am in the process of repairing and re-establishing the original fencing which a number of two and three acre pastures. It was a small dairy with around 8 head rotated through the pastures and also fed hay from the two small hay fields in winter. Though it has not been active for about 20+ years, perhaps 30 the pastures are in fair shape.

The three cows I got are registered purebred (as opposed to fullblood) and I checked their pedigrees and only noted an occasional Milking Shorthorn or Imported Shorthorn to cause the " * " and keep them from being fullblood registered.

Dorothy (born 5-30-97) stands about 56 inches tall to the top of her shoulder, hind hip, and back.

Joyce (born 3-18-98) is Red and stands about 54 inches and is also "square" and is milked down a bit and looks a bit thin and was just weaned from her third calf.

Lilly (Born 11-26-99) is the white one,Polled, and is also about 54 inches tall, and appears heaver than Joyce. She was just wiened from her 2nd calf. (Dorothy is Lilly's mom)

All three are currently open and I will soon have them AI'd for spring calving.

I like white, but have not made a decision on the Bull. I will have to order the semen from one of the national services I suspect. Any suggestions?? I do want to watch the birth weight, and keep it low. I also would prefer a full-blood bull.

What other Shorthorn specific problems might I encounter.

I intend to keep any heifer calves and to raise for the beef sale barn any bull calves.

I am open to all suggestions.

[email protected]

Breed EPD averages

<A HREF="http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~shammack/epdavg.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~shammack/epdavg.htm</A>

The American Shorthorn Assoc. used to have a bull search feature in their EPDs for color

<A HREF="http://www.beefshorthornusa.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.beefshorthornusa.com/</A>

SEK has one white Shorthorn but he's only 7/8

You might want to contact the Shorthorn Assoc. about your needs. When I dealt with them They were very helpfull and pleasent to work with

dunmovin farms
> As some of you know I recently
> purchased three Shorthorn cows for
> a small Ozark farm I own.

> The pastures are only about 12
> acres and in decent fescue. I can
> rotational graze and still cut hay
> for winter. I am in the process of
> repairing and re-establishing the
> original fencing which a number of
> two and three acre pastures. It
> was a small dairy with around 8
> head rotated through the pastures
> and also fed hay from the two
> small hay fields in winter. Though
> it has not been active for about
> 20+ years, perhaps 30 the pastures
> are in fair shape.

> The three cows I got are
> registered purebred (as opposed to
> fullblood) and I checked their
> pedigrees and only noted an
> occasional Milking Shorthorn or
> Imported Shorthorn to cause the
> " * " and keep them from
> being fullblood registered.

> Dorothy (born 5-30-97) stands
> about 56 inches tall to the top of
> her shoulder, hind hip, and back.

> Joyce (born 3-18-98) is Red and
> stands about 54 inches and is also
> "square" and is milked
> down a bit and looks a bit thin
> and was just weaned from her third
> calf.

> Lilly (Born 11-26-99) is the white
> one,Polled, and is also about 54
> inches tall, and appears heaver
> than Joyce. She was just wiened
> from her 2nd calf. (Dorothy is
> Lilly's mom)

> All three are currently open and I
> will soon have them AI'd for
> spring calving.

> I like white, but have not made a
> decision on the Bull. I will have
> to order the semen from one of the
> national services I suspect. Any
> suggestions?? I do want to watch
> the birth weight, and keep it low.
> I also would prefer a full-blood
> bull.

> What other Shorthorn specific
> problems might I encounter.

> I intend to keep any heifer calves
> and to raise for the beef sale
> barn any bull calves.

> I am open to all suggestions.

I don't care how long I live, it amazes me when I see how many units can be put on X acres in some regions. Wow. Southeast Texas can be that way, but around here (central) for native unimproved pasture, the rule of thumb is 25 acres per pair. Of course we can do better than that with improved pastures and hay fields, but nowhere close to what you described. In west Texas, New Mexico, etc. it's a lot worse. I'm not jealous, (well sorta - ha) it's just really impressive to me for some reason. More power to you!

Latest posts