shorthorn or not

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i am wanting info on crossbreeding with shorthorn cattle good and bad. i tring to make a choice between shorthorn herford, simm or braunvih all input please. i live in ky if that helps and using a brangus bull.

trav":3bnbrmno said:
i am wanting info on crossbreeding with shorthorn cattle good and bad. i tring to make a choice between shorthorn herford, simm or braunvih all input please. i live in ky if that helps and using a brangus bull.
What kind of cows are you using the brangus bull on.

that is what i was asking you wich would work better with a brangus bull
shorthorn, herford. simm, or braunveih

trav":378iuro3 said:
that is what i was asking you wich would work better with a brangus bull
shorthorn, herford. simm, or braunveih
Do you own the bull, but no cows. Are you going to purchace the cows to bred. The way the question was asked I thought that you had hfrs from a
brangus bull and you were wanting to know which bull would cross best with them
Would you please clarify the question?

WIN BUSH WIN

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the calves. I f your planning to keep heifers i would go with Herfored or shorthorn. If you looking at strickly terminal and sell off the calves Braunveigh ,Limo, charloais would give the size and meat. The Simmi would work in either case for keeping and to sell off.

trav":11tscmtl said:
go with Simmental you could keep the heifers or sell them as replacements, if your intention is to sell everything by the pound go with Charolais or Limousin

Shorthorns will give you maternal and marbling. Need to watch color unless you want some, use red bulls. Hereford will be easiest keeping, but with less milking ability. Both breeds will calve easier than the others you note, where you will get more pounds and more mature size.

i have been using braunvieh influenced females now for about three years , im running some herefordx braunvieh cross cows that are in my opinion the best set of cows ive ever delt with ( about 30 yrs in the buisness ) they are outstanding foragers very docile good protective mothers and have very well formed utters i have not had to pull or assist a single cow or heffier , the first cross braunvieh will clean the utter up on anything. i also run a brangus bull and these calves have sold very very well and im having a hard time letting any heffiers go theya are awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and with that little shot of ear are turning out to be very effecient animals . i would caution you an getting braunvieh cattle from the showmen , or any typ for that matter go find some good cattle in a herd that is making someone some money as a commercial cattleman

cow puncher":3fmzrwep said:
i have been using braunvieh influenced females now for about three years , im running some herefordx braunvieh cross cows that are in my opinion the best set of cows ive ever delt with ( about 30 yrs in the buisness ) they are outstanding foragers very docile good protective mothers and have very well formed utters i have not had to pull or assist a single cow or heffier , the first cross braunvieh will clean the utter up on anything. i also run a brangus bull and these calves have sold very very well and im having a hard time letting any heffiers go theya are awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and with that little shot of ear are turning out to be very effecient animals . i would caution you an getting braunvieh cattle from the showmen , or any typ for that matter go find some good cattle in a herd that is making someone some money as a commercial cattleman

you could try to run a Simbrah bull with your Braunvieh influnce cows and you will be surprise with the calves.

cow puncher":1fpt1nok said:
i would really like to try the braunvieh cows. i just not sure were to find some braunvieh cows for sale I live in ky any answers please help. with bull would be better brangus or simbrah. plan on selling steers and keeping my heifers.

trav":h9h6s2xj said:
cow puncher":h9h6s2xj said:
i would really like to try the braunvieh cows. i just not sure were to find some braunvieh cows for sale I live in ky any answers please help. with bull would be better brangus or simbrah. plan on selling steers and keeping my heifers.

both Simbrah and Brangus (RED or Black) will be ok, even Brafords or Brahmousin, that will be your choice but to keep your heifers undoubtedly I will suggest Simbrah

A. delaGarza":12vqoimw said:
trav":12vqoimw said:
cow puncher":12vqoimw said:

both Simbrah and Brangus (RED or Black) will be ok, even Brafords or Brahmousin, that will be your choice but to keep your heifers undoubtedly I will suggest Simbrah
any ideas on how i may find some braunvieh cows close and what would be a reasonable price for commercial braunvieh cows. i live in ky, thanks for all the info.

Latest posts