Shorthorn heifer stopped growing. HELP!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Someone in the biz just told me that our February 2000 shorthorn heifer has stopped growing. She weighed 805 lbs. the last time we weighed her. Any advice on how we can jump start her growth. She seems perfectly healthy. We feed 2% of her body weight in feed plus 3 oz. daily of OXY-Gen. She has her fill of hay (which is tested at 16% protein). We have 2 major stock shows (one this month and next month). Is it too late to see any growth between now and then? HELP???
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I have several thoughts, not all helpful. First, is she just on a plateau for a bit? 2nd, are you sure she's not just bodying down and gaining weight but not height?<br>Also, ensure there is nothing medically wrong with her--a touch of pneumonia can definitely slow growth and not be that visible--seeing an animal cough only 3 times a day gets me to listen to their lungs!<br>I'm sure others will give you effective growing enhancers, just watch you have sufficient roughage, not grain overloading her, and good protein--what you've described should be fine!<br>Good Luck!<br>V
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1fpoj9mj said:
: Someone in the biz just told me that our February 2000 shorthorn heifer has stopped growing. She weighed 805 lbs. the last time we weighed her. Any advice on how we can jump start her growth. She seems perfectly healthy. We feed 2% of her body weight in feed plus 3 oz. daily of OXY-Gen. She has her fill of hay (which is tested at 16% protein). We have 2 major stock shows (one this month and next month). Is it too late to see any growth between now and then? HELP???<p>I guess my first quetion is What is her pedigree? She may be done growing if her genetics say so. She could have just hit a slow spell, don't worry. Seems all calve hit that not so pretty slow grow stage.Send me an e-mail I woul be curious what her pedigree is. Jeff Cornell,Cornell Shorthorns <p>
<br>

[email protected]