Shorthorn Cows (photos)

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here are some girls that know how to work for their living. No babying going on around here.

Purebred Shorthorn
Born in 2002, the red and white cow is dam/grand dam to about 10 of our SS and SSx cows. Including the black cow in front of her.
DSC06290.jpg

Born in 2003
DSC06303.jpg

Born in 2007
DSC06271.jpg

Born in 2007
DSC06254.jpg

Born 2009
DSC06275.jpg

Shorthorn x cows

SS x RA, Born in 2008
DSC06257.jpg

2008 model. 3/4 SS, 1/4 BA
DSC06262.jpg

2002 model
DSC06274.jpg

2006 model
DSC06282.jpg

2008 born, SS x HH/AN
DSC06283.jpg

SS x BA, born in 2004
DSC06288.jpg

Born in 2005 SS x Gelbvieh
DSC06294.jpg

Born in 2006
DSC06299.jpg

i did have quite a few shorthorn but i have gotten rid of most of them because they would let anyone nurse them,even another adult cow.always had me worried if there calf was getting enough to eat.they did breed back faster than any other breed i have.

i have some char cows that will do the same thing pied. kinda makes me wonder but they continue to ween big calves so i don't let it bother me and i do like red cows and black cows and white ones so i like the pics nice herd David

Thanks, ALA.

Piedmontiese and David, we've rarely have that problem. Actually, when we do run into that sort of a problem, I tend to get rid of the cow doing the sucking rather than the suckee. As far as calves stealing, not a big problem for us.

Just looking at those pictures makes me cold. We got our first snow here this week, i think i could pass. The cows look real good though randi.

Nice animals, and nicely deep chested. Interesting to see what a SH/gelbvieh cross is like as we kept 2 heifers this year who are pretty much 1/2 and half of those breeds... as calves i can say they look great

another aspect of these animals I like is nice uniform coloring... not that fond about the brockelfaced stuff, but I know how hard it is to get rid of it lol

Thanks, you guys.

Nesikep, she's the only SS x GV that we have, but I am quite happy with her. If I wanted to start a whole new herd, I think that might be the way to go. But, I like the herd we have now. I don't mind the brockle faces, we run a Hereford bull, so we aren't going to get away from that.

we started with hereford/angus/simm cross cows, which is why I was saying it's hard to get away from the brocklefaces... I don't know if it's the gelbvieh bull we have now who has particularly well developed hind quarters, or if all gelbviehs are like that... we got this bull in an emergency situation, but we've kept him 2 seasons now and looking like it'll be 3 years now... we're happy with him, he's docile enough and does his job

Nesikep":14kbj0b1 said:
we started with hereford/angus/simm cross cows, which is why I was saying it's hard to get away from the brocklefaces... I don't know if it's the gelbvieh bull we have now who has particularly well developed hind quarters, or if all gelbviehs are like that... we got this bull in an emergency situation, but we've kept him 2 seasons now and looking like it'll be 3 years now... we're happy with him, he's docile enough and does his job

That is true enough. It is a dominant trait, that white face.

I like Gelbvieh cattle, the ones we have dealt with have been quiet, and they have some hip to them. Problem is around here, they are not real well accepted by the cattle buyers, so tend to get docked if the GV blood is too obvious.

Gelbveihs are a lighter brown /tan... not as blond as a char or a simm, but they definitely aren't a red... as for other distinctive traits, they show a lot of muscle in the hindquarters and on top of the back

IMG_0715.jpg

that's a heifer calf... I'm currently uploading a pic her sire

Good functional cattle not too big in the frame score. Thats become a problem here in Australia some of the Shorthorns are getting to long and lanky and losing their good beef qualities. they are a good breed to cross with. I have used them with my Brahmans and South Devons.

Latest posts