Shorthorn Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have had a real problem with my baby calves having bad eyes. I haven't changed any of the things that I have done in the past but I am really struggling this year. I bet I have had six or seven small calves that have had bad eyes. Any suggestions would help! Also, what would be a good cross for shorthorns?

J+":xadbcoau said:
I have had a real problem with my baby calves having bad eyes. I haven't changed any of the things that I have done in the past but I am really struggling this year. I bet I have had six or seven small calves that have had bad eyes. Any suggestions would help! Also, what would be a good cross for shorthorns?
depends, if your are up north Angus or Hereford should work, I will suggest a Continental breed like Simmental or Gelvieh, with Gelvieh you will have a 100% red calves for sure. If you are in the South maybe Brahamn influence cattle or staight Brahman should work better.

What form have these "bad eyes" been in? Pinkeye, milkeye, crosseyed, no eyes, what?

dun

J+":1r09fhlt said:

dun":2l4jadtx said:
What form have these "bad eyes" been in? Pinkeye, milkeye, crosseyed, no eyes, what?

dun

J+":2l4jadtx said:

Yea I'm with Dun what are your eye problems. As far as crossing with Shorthorns I prefer the English cattle Angus, British White , Devon, or Hereford. Its hard to go wrong with a good Angus or Hereford .

I've had to have two eyes removed so far this year and they were both black hereford cross cows.

Rod":3on4ll53 said:
I've had to have two eyes removed so far this year and they were both black hereford cross cows.

Black herefords or F-1 herefordxangus cross. The reason I ask Black herefords are a new breed. Sounds like you have a recessive gene in the pool. English breeds has some unusual recessive traits. As bad as I hate to say it it's probaly the herefordxshorthorn cross. The English did a lot of inbreeding trying to standardize the breeds in the 1800's

I am not for sure what you are asking! They just started to get cloudy and continued to get worse. I treated them with everything that I knew of and was told to (penicilan, LA, Nuflor, etc), and nothing worked. The vet said there was alot of damage done to the eyes and I can's afford to have that many calves to sell with bad eyes!

J+

dun":3ny177q0 said:

dun

J+":3ny177q0 said:

most be Pinkeye,

J+":2tggjqu4 said:
I am not for sure what you are asking! They just started to get cloudy and continued to get worse. I treated them with everything that I knew of and was told to (penicilan, LA, Nuflor, etc), and nothing worked. The vet said there was alot of damage done to the eyes and I can's afford to have that many calves to sell with bad eyes!

J+

dun":2tggjqu4 said:

dun

J+":2tggjqu4 said:

If there is a small white spot that is off center and the eye is cloudy it's most likely IBR. If so, a simple injection in the conjunctive tissue will clear it up within a day or two. If the white spot is centered it's generic pinkeye. If the eye is milky without a white spot I would look towards some environmental irritant, or a maybe (I'm just guessing on this one), a mineral/nutritional deficiency.
Even though we have always vaccinated for IBR/BVD, one year we had weanling heifers that had IBR, just a wierd strain that isn't/wasn't covered by the vaccine.

dun

J+ said:

J+

I had this same problem for the first time ever this year. Seemed like pinkeye that just wouldn't go away. Turns out It was a bacterial strain of pinkeye that the calves picked up from eating brome hay out of a feeder. Took it away and a month later no problems. Turns out the hay was out up during pollination causing the problem. So now we are going to put up all are own hay.

Latest posts