shorthorn bull

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my new shorthorn bull good pedigree Saskvalley Pioneer126 x Hc Lady Sophia 1189lbs end of test 4.41 adg BW 95 lbs ww 18 yw 25 lookes good but too much white for me i thought take a chance on him any thoughts on color of calves if cows are all red or roan? I asked this in a previous post but had no picture hope this video comes up for me.

Finally figured out pics this is my new herd sire for this year what are the chances of him throwing solid color or roans breeding red shorthorn cows dont have much experance with this color.
jackaroocalves019.jpg

Tamarack,my experience is that it could take several generations to clean up that color pattern.Don't know about your area but it would greatly limit your marketing avenues down here in the states.

Wow - prepare for some colour!

Not necessarily anything else in the mix to get that sort of red and white. Just a fair bit of colour!! (I've seen a few pretty bright Pioneer's about, and your bull's mother is a decent red and white cow). If anything, I'd be concerned that in that pic, he looks to be verging on black hair around the face/muzzle? Could very well be just the light though.

He's out of the Sun Country sale isn't he?

I would doubt that those are black hairs on his nose, but anything is possible. On the top side of his pedgree there is no appendix whatsoever as far back as you can look. On the top side you have to go back to one of his grand dams to find your first ancestor that was not solid red or roan. She was red with white marks but not quite as loud as he is. On the bottom side you have to go a long way back to get to Rodeo Drive so like I said, anything is possible.
As for the color of his calves... be prepared. You may get anything from solid reds to roans to calves colored just like him and anything in between. We have found that if you sell calves directly off the cows you may see some price dicount. If you background your calves and sell them as feeders (around 800 pounds) you won't be discounted. This is what we have experienced.

turning grass into beef":1okypmp6 said:
I would doubt that those are black hairs on his nose, but anything is possible.
On the bottom side you have to go a long way back to get to Rodeo Drive so like I said, anything is possible.

As I said, I'm sure it's just the light - he doesn't look like that in the catalogue pic - but you never know.

turning grass into beef":1okypmp6 said:
On the bottom side you have to go a long way back to get to Rodeo Drive so like I said, anything is possible.

8) :cboy:

Latest posts