Shorthorn Bull Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Yesterday the landowner, where I keep my herd, told me he was considering getting a Shorthorn Bull to use on his Hereford and Angus cows.

Just wondering if anyone has used a Shorthorn bull ( both the milking version and the meat version ) and what were the advantages and disadvantages to this breed.
What should we look for when we go shopping for one of these bulls.
Be blunt~! Educate me. I want to be actively involved with the purchase of this bull, since last years Angus bull was a bit of a dissapointment. ( 2 calves with horns and most of them RED, not black )

I might use the Shorthorn bull on my commercial Angus heifers and possibly on a few of my old Simmental cows.

Anyone have a photo of their Shorthorn bulls, crossbred calves etc ?

Thank you,

We have raised Shorthorns since the mid 70's and this is what I can tell you about them. The major disadvantage is their color. If you want to buy one for commercial cowherd, hunt for a solid red bull. They will breed truer for color and you won't get as many painted up and roan calves. If you put red bulls on black cows, you should get mostly black calves unless your cows are recessive for red color. On Hereford cows you will get red baldies and mottlefaces.
We have been breeding some of our Shorthorn cows for the crossbred clubcalf market to black Maine Anjou cross bulls and getting black calves. Some will have a little white on them, but not too much.
Advantages of Shorthorns is that they will grow off well and are usually heavy at weaning. I always tell bull customers the biggest benefit they will see is in the F1 females. They will outmilk their mothers and will raise good calves. One of the best sets of commercial cows I ever looked at were Hereford x Shorthorn crosses. They were being bred to Saler bulls and weaning a lot of calves in the 700-800 lb. range at about 8 months of age. They were on native grass in the Oklahoma panhandle and were not creep fed.
I would encourage you to get out and look around at what is available in your area as far as Shorthorn bulls go. Don't just find some and buy the first one you find. There are a wide range of genetics available in this breed and you just need to find the ones that fit your management practices and environment.

Murray Grey would also be a good choice for you,small bw,will grow off well. Here is a picture of a 3 year old herd bull.

DSCN0029.jpg

You will have a breeder close to you. ;-) :cboy: [/img]

Thank you for that Shorthorn Bull info.
Just need to find one.

Can you think of anything else I need to know ?
Is there a special Assoc for the meat type of Shorthorns ?

Could you Post some photos of your bulls so I have an idea what to look for ?

Springer Farms, I like the looks of the Murray Grey, but I'm not the one doing the bull buying. The landowner had a barnful of record making Milking Shorthorns in the 60's and I think his elderly wife wants to see a Shorthorn Bull in the pasture just one more time.....

I suggested buying Shorthorn semen and I would breed his cows.
He politley declined.
Thats when I got the real story.

If you can think of anything else I need to know--feel free to write it all down until you get writters cramp. :lol:

CowCop
The beef shorthorn breed is widely spit in quality. There are a lot of the "dairy" type - really lacking muscling.
Somehow, "all of a sudden" breeders are coming up with beef shorthorns that are widely sought after in the clubby world. Super thick, GREAT HAIR (that's a real key factor in the clubby world). Shorthorn breed assn. started allowing "up grading" and Maine & Angus cattle were used heavy to produce the modern meaty shorthorn.
Actually, the roan is heavily sought after for the show cattle.
But, the majority of shorthorns around still lack muscling - but the good meaty ones are in high demand.

There is a fellow in Maryland that swears the best beef cross is Shorthorn and Piedmontese. I haven't seen (or tasted) them but he says he is very happy with that combination.

Latest posts