shorthorn breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

angusdave63

Reaction score
i am wondering if there are many left that breed the older pre maine type cattle anymore. i really like a good shortie but the guys left in my area have the big long lanky hard doing type, that was the main reason i went to the red poll bull, i like to cross red bulls on black cows i just think both of those breeds have a lot to offer comercial cattle men. if showing cattle is your thing more power to you. i want calves that mash the scales down and dont cost a fortune to get there.

Where are you? There is a shorthorn breeder in our area that the family has been at it for 50 years and they seem to be the more functional type of cattle.

I have close to 40 purebred cows of which only 2 have any Maine influence. This is a terrible misconception that most shorthorns have Maine influence - its just not true. That long lanky type is not a Maine characteristic, but one of the Milking Shorthorn - not to be confused with the Shorthorn. The herd book was split over 60 years ago and there were breeders breeding the beef type long before the split.

Where are you located, Dave? I can provide a lengthy list of breeders that meet your criteria.

The newest addition:
IMAG0548-1.jpg

My replacement heifers:
shor.jpg

Couple fall bull calves:
385947_10100327262769877_29612665_49384840_1272904919_n.jpg

If this is the type of bull you are looking for then visit our webiste http://www.saskvalleyshorthorns.com
If you want to see more bulls then take a look at the bulls that we just sold in our bull sale last month.
We have never used any maine influenced bulls on our shorthorn cows.
Unfortunately I don't think we are in your area.

sorry i should have noted i am in indiana, so massey you saying it is not the maine, but the milking shorthorn, tHAT sure makes sence to me. don,t look to close at my spelling, thats a nice bull turning grass,

angusdave63- Here is another bull you might consider. This is Coalpit Creek Leader 6th taken about a week ago. As pictured, he has been servicing over 40 cows for 30+ days. He is a 5 frame and will weigh 2,200 lbs right now. He is a coming 4 (September). Semen is available domestically as well as for export. I will have pictures of his offspring posted soon on our website at "www.yydurhamcattle.com"
smallcpclDSC_0588.JPG

Quartering away view from last night
DSC_0727.jpg

2012 daughter
2012DSC_0635.jpg

Coyote,
The heifer calf is a granddaughter of Diamond Baroness 21J. I thought I had successfully downloaded several photos of yearling heifers by Coalpit Creek Leader 6th, but can only find one in my downloads. This is a horned heifer out of a 2 year old heifer. DOB 1/28/11, BW 70 lbs. I have had two horned calves in two years from this bull. To date, all have been unnassisted. Not an ideal pose.
11-2DSC_0655.jpg

those are what i call shorthorns, durham. nice bull and heifers thanks for sharing those. maybe it's just me but i like red cattle. imo good cattle are good cattle regardless what color they are

Gotta say there's some nice animals listed here...

Here's some of my SH cross cows
this is a 1/2 SH, 1/4 Saler, 1/4 Herf cow, who is a bit lighter in build that some of our shorthorns, but produces very well

With a Gelbvieh X calf

Our last SH bull

Previous SH bull

Nelly, who's a great and docile cow, BIG, HEAVY, and a good milker... Her twins 2 years ago averaged 500 lbs (pic is a couple years old)

And here's a 1/2 herf, 1/2 SH cow who is great as well... doesn't have any issue with 140 lb birthweights, and raises steers to 750 lbs

Latest posts