Shortbed trucks and goosenecks

Help Support CattleToday:

I have done it a lot of times. If the ball is not in the right spot on the frame then it will be fun to drive.

Need more info…

I'm talking about the 3/4 ton 4x4's from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy pulling 20-30 foot flatbeds loaded with hay or equipment, or 20-24 foot cattle trailers.

I know a guy that had a dodge shortbed that cut his camper to tight and hit his cab corner

I opened this thread expecting to see some pics but no dice. I guess thats a good thing for you at least.

gertman":1rfqwrr1 said:
I'm talking about the 3/4 ton 4x4's from Ford, Dodge, and Chevy pulling 20-30 foot flatbeds loaded with hay or equipment, or 20-24 foot cattle trailers.
I guess it depends on how far and how heavy and how often you are going to pull with it

the rule of thump I always use is
upto 20ft a 3/4 ton
24 ft a1ton
over 24ft a larger truck

I always prefer to have more trk than needed but then again I haul alot and I also load heavy
that is why I have went to semi's for hauling
they are cheaper and get better mileage and last alot longer plus have ALOT more stopping power

Wife's got a short bed extended cab Dudge, she pulls my 20' Featherlite cattle trailer and her 20' Eby with it. Both work okay, the FL has a bit of a taper to the nose and has a bit more cab clearance. You can't cut either one 90 degrees, but the Eby won't even come close. It would be fine with a flatbed as long as it doesn't have a deck over the neck. Any way you go, if you lose track of what you're doing you're going to be replacing that back window.

The make two different extenders for short bed trucks. One replaces the stock neck on the trailer. The other works with a B&W hitch and does the same thing as the previous.

I have a short bed Duramax. Have pulled a 36ft fifth wheel, but do have a slider hitch, otherwise it would have been an issue. I've pulled several different goosenecks up to 30ft, and none of the goosenecks have been a problem. I had to have a shortbed because of a parking garage issue. I would prefer a longbed, it is a bit better pulling, but more so for the bed space.

My Dodge 2500 1/2 ton diesel does very well with the 25' gooseneck, dovetail, flatbed. Loaded with 10 4x5 round bales has never been a problem (have a brake controller for the electric brakes). The only problem has been turning across a shallow ditch, pulling the trailer. When coming back up on level ground the cow trailer (which is also a gooseneck) dips down and can dent the truck bed rail.

I pull 24 foot stock trailer crammed full of cows, 25 foot flatbed and had it loaded as heavy as 14,000. BUT,....it is a Dodge. Not sure if a Chevy or Ford will be up to the challenge. :lol:

BeefmasterB":1kljbe1w said:
My Dodge 2500 1/2 ton diesel does very well with the 25' gooseneck, dovetail, flatbed. Loaded with 10 4x5 round bales has never been a problem (have a brake controller for the electric brakes). The only problem has been turning across a shallow ditch, pulling the trailer. When coming back up on level ground the cow trailer (which is also a gooseneck) dips down and can dent the truck bed rail.
like i said it depends on the load on my 28ft I haul 26 4x5 bales and also depends on the terrain here in my part of Mo it is either up hill or down hill :lol: :lol:

I routinely pull a 30' float loaded with hay and a 20' cattle trailer with a Ford F-250 crew cab short bed. I am on my second short bed diesel and this one is seven years old with no problems

A fifth wheel travel trailor might be difficult due to being wide at front but a goose neck on short bed is fine. I have a dodge short ext cab with a large cross bed tool box on bed. I can jackknife my 24' trailor so it is at 90* angle with the hitch going over the side of the truck bed rather than the tailgate. Looks like if I went to far the trailor bed would contact side of truck but the goose neck would still be clear. I don't see how a long bed could do anymore unless the trailor is wide where it overhangs the truck bed.

I've got a 97 F350 single cab longbed. I can tell you from experience it will go well past 90 degrees with a gooseneck. Somewhere around 135 degrees the front of the trailer deck comes thru the passenger side door and lays on the seat next to you. It had about 30k on it at the time.

good thread, as I bought a 94 dodge dually longbox standard cab truck, I am still in the market for a 24ft 24,000 lb gooseneck flatdeck though

Latest posts