Short video of calf being born

Help Support CattleToday:

all4ahorse

Reaction score
I wasn't sure which forum to post this message on, so posted here and on the "breeds" forum. Wanted to share a couple photos and a video from two calves born this past August. My favorite breed is a polled Hereford and Angus coming in 2nd. We have a small herd of 12 beef cattle, (5) of those are our mama cows and 2 Hereford heifers in the process of being bred. The rest range in age from 2 mos to 17 mos. We always hope to be home when our mama cows go in to labor so that we can keep an eye on them, especially the 1st timers. We had an Angus x Limousine cow, bred to a registered polled Hereford, have her 1st calf mid August and she did great, a beautiful heifer. I got out to the pasture in time to video the calf being born. You can view the short video here http://www.allforahorse.com/MOV01193.MPG If it doesn't play by clicking, try saving to your desktop and playing from there. Also attaching photos of those 2 calves bron in August. The Hereford bull calf was huge! He looked like he was at least month old at just 2 weeks of age. He came out to greet the new heifer a couple hours after she arrived.

A side note after reading comments about banding...my husband & I typically band our bull calves anywhere from 3-5 weeks after they are born. We found that we had a little trouble getting both testicles to drop down into the scrotum so waiting a few weeks seemed to make that task a little easier for us. We haven't done alot of banding as we are just starting out but so far, the 4 we have done, no problems whatsoever. Sure wouldn't want to wait until they were several months old to band though.

angusheifer-8-27-09-.jpg

bull-calf8-14-09.jpg

calves8-23-09.jpg

Thanks to the little bull calf for knocking our cross-fence down in the background :lol2:

all4ahorse":348dhehg said:
I wasn't sure which forum to post this message on, so posted here and on the "breeds" forum. Wanted to share a couple photos and a video from two calves born this past August. My favorite breed is a polled Hereford and Angus coming in 2nd. We have a small herd of 12 beef cattle, (5) of those are our mama cows and 2 Hereford heifers in the process of being bred. The rest range in age from 2 mos to 17 mos. We always hope to be home when our mama cows go in to labor so that we can keep an eye on them, especially the 1st timers. We had an Angus x Limousine cow, bred to a registered polled Hereford, have her 1st calf mid August and she did great, a beautiful heifer. I got out to the pasture in time to video the calf being born. You can view the short video here http://www.allforahorse.com/MOV01193.MPG If it doesn't play by clicking, try saving to your desktop and playing from there. Also attaching photos of those 2 calves bron in August. The Hereford bull calf was huge! He looked like he was at least month old at just 2 weeks of age. He came out to greet the new heifer a couple hours after she arrived.

A side note after reading comments about banding...my husband & I typically band our bull calves anywhere from 3-5 weeks after they are born. We found that we had a little trouble getting both testicles to drop down into the scrotum so waiting a few weeks seemed to make that task a little easier for us. We haven't done alot of banding as we are just starting out but so far, the 4 we have done, no problems whatsoever. Sure wouldn't want to wait until they were several months old to band though.

angusheifer-8-27-09-.jpg

bull-calf8-14-09.jpg

calves8-23-09.jpg

Thanks to the little bull calf for knocking our cross-fence down in the background :lol2:

Yeah you posted this on the other thread already.

I think this is a beautiful picture. A living thing being borne and seeing the step by step of the process is truly remarkable. Got Any other video?

Latest posts