Short tailed calf

Help Support CattleToday:

OvertonAngus

Reaction score
It looks like one of my heifers calf's tail got stepped on and came off about 8 or so inches down from her hip. Has anybody ever had any that had any lasting problems from having a short tail or been docked at the sale barn hard from it? If she's good enough I'll keep her as a replacement and just keep her treated heavy for flies during the warms months. It doesn't have any chew marks on it like a dog or coyote got after her it almost looks like it was banded and fell off which makes me think it got stepped on. Doesn't seem to faze her any and the cold snap lately is keeping the flies down.

We had a show heifer get hers stepped on last year and had to band off just above the switch. It was a real pain in the arse to deal with till it healed. Now she has an approx. 18-22 inch stub tail left. I definitely feel bad for her in the summer with the flies, she whips that thing five times faster than a normal cow would, but obviously it only touches a very small percentage of her back. She calved in June, her first, no assistance, great heifer calf, like it was her third or fourth calf. So the fact that she has bum tail, could care less, we plan on her being around her for quite some time.

Latest posts