short hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbredcalves

Reaction score
I have an 8 year old QH gelding who is running on pasture right now. He has worn his hooves down pretty short, as in almost too short to shoe. Is it bacon grease or corn oil that you can put on their feed to increase hoof growth? I can't remember which.

Did your farrier tell you they were too short? Sometimes it looks worse than it really is. I see it with cracks, people call all concerned but it's generally not as bad as they think.
Not sure either oil will promote growth but it does help restore moisture, like most of the products you can buy.
Hoof supplements, in my opinion are not a "magic cure all" but do help some. But it's also one of those things where you get what you pay for.
What kind of pasture is he running on to wear down his hooves so much? Must be pretty rough to do that.
The only way I know to promote hoof growth would be to first get him in a smaller area that restricts alot of movement. Preferably a grass or sand surface. Then increase his feed, if on any. Not necessarily the amount but the quality. Add a hoof supplement if you like. Keep some type of conditioner on his hooves and get shoes on as soon as possible as they will keep the hoof from wearing down.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

:tiphat:

He is on 125 acres of grassy pasture with lots of rocks. He gets no feed or supplement besides a salt/mineral block that I keep out constantly. I think they just look short to me. I pulled his shoes about a year ago and haven't put any back on him, since I am not riding him at all. He was a herd sire for a while so I think it is in his mind to be on the move constantly.

crossbredcalves":2uatqr0b said:
He is on 125 acres of grassy pasture with lots of rocks. He gets no feed or supplement besides a salt/mineral block that I keep out constantly. I think they just look short to me. I pulled his shoes about a year ago and haven't put any back on him, since I am not riding him at all. He was a herd sire for a while so I think it is in his mind to be on the move constantly.

Since your farrier is familiar with your horse and his feet, I believe I would be asking him/her this question. It could be a very simple matter of keeping your horse shod, or it could be a symptom of something else. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but either way your farrier is in a much better position to answer your question than we are.

My first question would be......how long ago was he trimmed and was he trimmed short? Secondly 125 acres is not really that much area to rome. Rocks would play a part in wear for sure. But if he's sound, I wouldn't think he's hurtin because of shorter hooves. Are they in good shape? No cracks etc?

Latest posts