Short Bed vs Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
How many of ya'll use a short bed pick up to pull a gooseneck stock trailer? And has it been a problem? I'm going to buy a new truck, and it's been heck trying to find a long bed. I'd get a short bed but it worries me about pulling a trailer.

I'm having the exact same problem. We're looking for a truck and I'd like a truck with the possibility to pull a smaller gooseneck trailer someday. I'm a little nervious looking at the short beds but every dealership just has shortbeds and says you just have to be careful. I don't want to be careful, I don't want to have to worry about it.

What I was wondering in addition to the previous question, is are there gooseneck brand's of trailers that are better for shortbed trucks?

TheBullLady":i2jaoszm said:
How many of ya'll use a short bed pick up to pull a gooseneck stock trailer? And has it been a problem? I'm going to buy a new truck, and it's been heck trying to find a long bed. I'd get a short bed but it worries me about pulling a trailer.

Mine's a short bed 3/4 ton Ford w/Power Stroke 4X4, Crew Cab and it works fine.

are you worried about hitting the cab with the gooseneck on a sharp turn with the shortbed? im confused. we have two long beds and a short bed that all pull the same.

TheBullLady":31rm3xt5 said:

Long bed or short bed has nothing to do with the trailer handling. It is the wheel base of the truck and the location of the goose neck hitch.

TheBullLady":3mcrjga0 said:

Mine works great. Ford 1/2 ton 4x4. I pull a 16ft gooseneck.

xxcre10xx":3redcvk0 said:
are you worried about hitting the cab with the gooseneck on a sharp turn with the shortbed? im confused. we have two long beds and a short bed that all pull the same.

It's not the sharp turns I'm worried about as much. I've heard of guys going through dips in pastures and the front of the nose coming down on the top of the cab of the truck.

TheBullLady":20qgfikr said:
if you cant find a truck with the long bed.why not get a cab chasie an put a 8ft steel flat bed on the truck.

Wife has a Dudge with the short bed. Can't cut as sharp as my long beds. With a little common sense they'll be fine. Hers is doomed.

cfpinz

PeaceCountryCowboy":2gdobyb1 said:
xxcre10xx":2gdobyb1 said:

It's not the sharp turns I'm worried about as much. I've heard of guys going through dips in pastures and the front of the nose coming down on the top of the cab of the truck.

bsflag.gif

That person had no business pulling a trailer. :eek: I am not even sure if that is possible. Never have been any where close to a situation like that to know. :lol:

Brute 23":18c802zd said:
That person had no business pulling a trailer. :eek: I am not even sure if that is possible. Never have been any where close to a situation like that to know. :lol:

Well I'm talking hilly terrain. If you've only got one truck and one trailer which we'll have and you need to get it into a pasture with some serious rolling hills to pickup something sick or injured, I don't think I'd do it with a short bed. You tilt some of those trailers down and a short bed pickup up, I can see the two touching at some point. I've been looking at some of these trucks and some full sizes I can touch the cab and the tailgate at the same time :eek: . Mind you I have long arms but still that's just wrong :lol: .

PeaceCountryCowboy":1fal8wdg said:
Brute 23":1fal8wdg said:

Well I'm talking hilly terrain. If you've only got one truck and one trailer which we'll have and you need to get it into a pasture with some serious rolling hills to pickup something sick or injured, I don't think I'd do it with a short bed. You tilt some of those trailers down and a short bed pickup up, I can see the two touching at some point. I've been looking at some of these trucks and some full sizes I can touch the cab and the tailgate at the same time :eek: . Mind you I have long arms but still that's just wrong :lol: .

If you can it the top of your cab on a hill you are going to smack you bed when you come down... and crush your tail gate if it is there.

I have a 04 Dodge with a short bed and a tool box too. Gooseneck hitch is pretty close to the toolbox, but I can still make a 90 degree turn.

dodgehay3.JPG

I have a short bed F250 with a over the rail cross bed toolbox and a custom made L shape diesel tank in my pickup. I have a B&W ball and the hitch is close to the L shape tank, but I can turn almost 90 degrees and am fine. It is hilly here where I am and I've been in the pasture and went through some pretty steep draws and such and have been fine.

I've got a short box chevy 3/4 ton and pull a 24 foot gooseneck livestock trailer without a problem. We've also got the full nose (not the tapered nose you might see) and I've never had a problem. We're located in the badlands of North Dakota, so we go in and out of some places that only a horse would be comfortable, and we've never wrecked a trailer.

The biggest problem would be if you ever hit some ice and ended up jack knifing the trailer. At that point, if the trailer is going to come around, it's going to hit something, long or short box.