Shopping for a felt hat

Help Support CattleToday:

D2Cat":116f7qoa said:
ez14":116f7qoa said:
Baseball cap! Can probably find some for free! (i got a lot of hats and i've never spent a cent on one)

Baseball caps use to be a source of advertising and were given away. Now they cost $10-$20 so you can advertise for someone!

Free John Deere and seed corn company hats abound. When I have to wear a ball cap aka too windy then I wear that.

Put your nicest cowboy lid on, stand in the mirror. Wait, now if you can't garner a s******, the rest of us can. Please don't tell them from Texas.

TexasBred":1opna8k8 said:
callmefence":1opna8k8 said:
TexasBred":1opna8k8 said:
You said rain, sleet, snow, etc.....sombrero just right.

Tb we love you man!
But I think you got your Eskimos and your mescuns mixed up. ;-)
Fence sometimes these mescuns can teach these yanks a thing or two.

Probably the only thing that could make it though winter on the tundra in a igloo besides a Eskimo would be a mescun.

And the only thing that could cross the Chihuahua with a gallon of muddy water besides a mescun , would be a Eskimo.

Up here in "yank land" if it gets too cold I put a Stormy Kromer hat on with ear flaps (it's wool with Thinsulate lining, very warm). But felt hat practicable to certain point.

It definitely not a tundra. Just normal Midwestern cold except more wind and more exposed because of the lack of trees.

NECowboy":1dun0cwo said:
Up here in "yank land" if it gets too cold I put a Stormy Kromer hat on with ear flaps (it's wool with Thinsulate lining, very warm). But felt hat practicable to certain point.

It definitely not a tundra. Just normal Midwestern cold except more wind and more exposed because of the lack of trees.

I do like my Stormy Kromer. I never wore a cowboy hat enough to get used to it. I used to wear one when I'd mow but now have a a canopy for the tractor.

J&D Cattle":8l93d7yp said:
NECowboy":8l93d7yp said:

I do like my Stormy Kromer. I never wore a cowboy hat enough to get used to it. I used to wear one when I'd mow but now have a a canopy for the tractor.

Cowboy hats can be a pain in certain occasions - too high wind, lack of headroom in tractor, smaller sized pickup etc, heavy rain, also need to have right size and get used to it - too small will give you a headache and prune your forehead bad, too loose and it will blow right off ya. I love the shade it gives my head, neck, and ears in summertime (no need for sunscreen) and always liked the look of one better than a ball cap. Kromers are great hats may get me a blaze orange one in addition to my black rancher this year for deer season.

NECowboy":1u1nm39t said:

Is that the "Elmer Fudd" hat?? :lol: :lol: :hide:

NECowboy":1hqsdbho said:
J&D Cattle":1hqsdbho said:
NECowboy":1hqsdbho said:

Cowboy hats can be a pain in certain occasions - too high wind, lack of headroom in tractor, smaller sized pickup etc, heavy rain, also need to have right size and get used to it - too small will give you a headache and prune your forehead bad, too loose and it will blow right off ya. I love the shade it gives my head, neck, and ears in summertime (no need for sunscreen) and always liked the look of one better than a ball cap. Kromers are great hats may get me a blaze orange one in addition to my black rancher this year for deer season.
I think men with a proper size and shape western hat look very nice. Much nicer than guys like me that wear free feed company caps most of the time but when I put a hat on I feel like a complete idiot. Guess it's just something you have to get use to. Not to mention every time you turn your beer up it hits the headrest in the truck. :lol:

TexasBred":cpwwhcf8 said:
NECowboy":cpwwhcf8 said:

Is that the "Elmer Fudd" hat?? :lol: :lol: :hide:

Yup they are ugly and dorky looking even but they sure keep your head and ears warm on the coldest of days or when you are sitting out in the cold and wind with no movement aka deer hunting! TB I think you'd enjoy a cowboy hat once you got over the novelty of it!

I've been wearing Greeley Hat Works felt hats for a while. Not cheap but a good hat.
In the Summer I wear a cheap Palm leaf.

Was in the feed store a few weeks ago and they had a display of hats. Picked one up and looked at it.....Not really bad looking but tag said "Made in China...100% Paper">

Serratelli makes a lot of wool type cowboy hats for several different companies, so be careful. I personally think their beaver hats are as nice as anybodies.

ez14":1dtsdugc said:
Baseball cap! Can probably find some for free! (i got a lot of hats and i've never spent a cent on one)

EZ, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you to be a young fellow that is planning on spending much of your life outdoors.

If you have a light complexion, sure give a hat that will cover your ears a consideration. I know too many old men that wore caps that have had pieces of their ears lopped off because of too much sun exposure. I'll probably be in the same boat.

I only got smart more recently and started wearing a brimmed hat.

Commercialfarmer":f1fxnsty said:
ez14":f1fxnsty said:

EZ, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you to be a young fellow that is planning on spending much of your life outdoors.

If you have a light complexion, sure give a hat that will cover your ears a consideration. I know too many old men that wore caps that have had pieces of their ears lopped off because of too much sun exposure. I'll probably be in the same boat.

im pretty dark (especially for a dutch boy) i've only ever got sunburnt once (i always wear long pants but i went fishing this summer and thought i should wear shorts bad idea)

ez14":1s4hsljw said:
Commercialfarmer":1s4hsljw said:
ez14":1s4hsljw said:

im pretty dark (especially for a dutch boy) i've only ever got sunburnt once (i always wear long pants but i went fishing this summer and thought i should wear shorts bad idea)

And also wear a long sleeve shirt as much as possible. I've always wore a hat or cap and my lower lip, temples, ears get cut on twice a year. Young man take good care of your body, you might live longer than you think.

Latest posts