Shopping for a felt hat

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy

Reaction score
Looking for a really nice winter felt hat. Have a Resistol George Strait 8x straw hat right now that really love but needing to shift gears now for the winter. Tried on a Rodeo King 5x at local western store (that's all they had even remotely close to my size) but it was too small. They told me they could order my size but I know nothing about the brand. I have a huge melon (7 3/4) so finding a hat in the store is an exercise in frustration. Want something I can wear in rain, sleet, snow, checking calves or even going out on the town and that will be warm. Thoughts on the following hats or any alternative suggestions?

Resistol 20x Black Gold, $400

Rodeo King 5x, $125

Resistol 7x, $250

NECowboy":3dtjq6ma said:
Looking for a really nice winter felt hat. Have a Resistol George Strait 8x straw hat right now that really love but needing to shift gears now for the winter. Tried on a Rodeo King 5x at local western store (that's all they had even remotely close to my size) but it was too small. They told me they could order my size but I know nothing about the brand. I have a huge melon (7 3/4) so finding a hat in the store is an exercise in frustration. Want something I can wear in rain, sleet, snow, checking calves or even going out on the town and that will be warm. Thoughts on the following hats or any alternative suggestions?

Resistol 20x Black Gold, $400

Rodeo King 5x, $125

Resistol 7x, $250

You could have quit after the first one. About the only time I wear one any more is in the heat of the summer/sun. But back when we were rodeoing I bought a 20x. It was my favorite hat outside of the Mem Day/Labor Day bracket, very good quality lid.

Not that one of the others may not be a great hat for you, jmo.

RanchMan90":39xlr3bi said:
If you want one for work get a cheap one, if you want one to go out I like a Stetson skyline.

Skyline looks nice and price is good. Think I'm going to plan on getting that. Thanks everyone for responses.

A sombrero will keep you from standing around with your hands in your pocket
You'll either be holding it on your head or chasing when the wind blows off
Keep you busy and out troublem

For me I can't spend 500 for a hat that's going to get ruined in bad weather
For a work hat a 7 or 10x and you can buy a new one every couple years
On really bad wet days you can wear the old one that's already lost its shape and got soft

Baseball cap! Can probably find some for free! (i got a lot of hats and i've never spent a cent on one)

Cross-7":2gxnevvl said:
That's what the chin strings are for......

ez14":15nu5rb2 said:
Baseball cap! Can probably find some for free! (i got a lot of hats and i've never spent a cent on one)

Baseball caps use to be a source of advertising and were given away. Now they cost $10-$20 so you can advertise for someone!

Cross-7":dzzjtbci said:

For me I can't spend 500 for a hat that's going to get ruined in bad weather
For a work hat a 7 or 10x and you can buy a new one every couple years
On really bad wet days you can wear the old one that's already lost its shape and got soft

That's what I always do, last years straw hat becomes my new work one.

Latest posts