Shop plans?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Wanting to build a small garage/shop. Wife wants to put a bathroom with shower in it and finish off maybe the end of it across the back with the bath in it. Anyone done something like this? Any good plans out there?

Neighbor did it, he just used his ideas, no plans. I wish I would have done it for my shop. The shower would be nice but isn't really used all that much.

dun":2vp29wdi said:
Neighbor did it, he just used his ideas, no plans. I wish I would have done it for my shop. The shower would be nice but isn't really used all that much.

We have drawn something up but wanted other ideas. Just got to let the builder look them over so we don't forget something.

I built my own shop about 3 years ago. Best advice I can give is to use the plyfoil insulation on the walls and roof at a minimum, not so much for winter heat but it keeps the shop cool in the summer. And use attic trusses, that's the one thing I didn't do and regret not doing. Helped a friend build his shop not long after and couldn't believe the amount of storage space it added.

cfpinz":ermbvbv3 said:
I built my own shop about 3 years ago. Best advice I can give is to use the plyfoil insulation on the walls and roof at a minimum, not so much for winter heat but it keeps the shop cool in the summer. And use attic trusses, that's the one thing I didn't do and regret not doing. Helped a friend build his shop not long after and couldn't believe the amount of storage space it added.
I agree about the insulation. The addition has it and boy does it make a difference both winter and summer.
One other suggestion is to make it at least 50% bigger than you think you will ever need.

cfpinz":13up10rh said:

Is that what some people call a scissor truss?

tom4018":27sac4co said:
dun":27sac4co said:
We have drawn something up but wanted other ideas. Just got to let the builder look them over so we don't forget something.
Put in a good sized fan/light/heater combo and finish the room a little nicer than you think you need, making it a nice evironment to shower in, otherwise after a couple of years shop bathrooms don't get used as much as you'd expect.

I agree with most of the above. Get tall walls and a 4/12 pitch. We are living in one now.

I have 14 foot walls. With the pitch of the roof, I have a huge loft upstairs for storage and/or additional living space.

Don't forget your HVAC system needs.

This is what we have attached to our shop. Couple of beds upstairs, my office, bathroom with a shower, a big table, a bar and a full kitchen downstairs. We spend more time in the barn than we do the house. My daughter is quick to point out that it's not a man cave, it's a family cave. Wood stove and a window air for HVAC.

Latest posts