Shop building questions?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We are trying to plan a shop/garage building. Wife wants an area in a building that could be heated and cooled for different uses. For example say take so many feet across the back or side wall for it.

As far as the big door openings would most people prefer them on the gable ends or eave ends? We are considering a 30 x 40 building and using 10 x 30 for the finished area.

tater74":277n3h35 said:
Make your building 50% bigger than you think you need. Much easier to do it now than later. If your experience is like mine, your climate controlled area will get bigger and your shop space smaller.
It may have to wait until the budget gets bigger, :( . Did this long without one might can make it without one for life.

TennesseeTuxedo":1clo7hzq said:
10 sounds narrow.
Might go a little bigger just batting around ideas now. Probably going to end up being more that I can afford and have to forget the idea.

You say, "Wife wants an area in a building that could be heated and cooled for different uses."

The building your wife wants and your idea of a "shop building" are two different projects. If you restrict the size of the shop it would be good to determine the use of area of the shop your wife wants. You going to have friends/family/cookouts on a regular basis? She needing something for canning vegetables?

If what she's dreaming about happens twice a year, I'd not restrict a work area for that.

No matter what size you build have some kind of door/doors opposite the main overhead door, just so you get some cross flow ventilation when it is hot.

I like them on the widest end and use 2 doors. 1 is a normal size door for cars/trucks/utvs and general use and one is 12 wide and 16 high for hauling in equipment like balers and bigger equipment

tom4018":2b9zz08r said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2b9zz08r said:
10 sounds narrow.
Might go a little bigger just batting around ideas now. Probably going to end up being more that I can afford and have to forget the idea.

No matter which way you go at it . 10 is to narrow for a SHOP. not deep enough to get a vehicle in and close the door. If you go in through the narrow end. Not enough room to move around vehicle and work. :2cents:

callmefence":3m1qy0q2 said:
tom4018":3m1qy0q2 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3m1qy0q2 said:
10 sounds narrow.

No matter which way you go at it . 10 is to narrow for a SHOP. not deep enough to get a vehicle in and close the door. If you go in through the narrow end. Not enough room to move around vehicle and work. :2cents:
It would be like a finished room. Not for a shop. She wants a get away from the house, place to have a get together, set up tables in the large part and have a way to do things out there.

tom4018":3oruwtwk said:
callmefence":3oruwtwk said:
tom4018":3oruwtwk said:

It would be like a finished room. Not for a shop. She wants a get away from the house, place to have a get together, set up tables in the large part and have a way to do things out there.

Gotcha, sorry misunderstood.

:wave: just mt thoughts what your wife wants should be addition to the house like enclosed porch or you could build small 20x20 roof in back yard with fire pit and make her happy the fumes from the shop will not be good for every one then depending on children or grand children dont like the idea of kids running around my shop ,put heated floor in if ya can ,
mine was buit on budget in 1980 it was supposed to be storage /shop yea!by 1987 it was all shop 32x50 quansut hut only one door (big mistake) but it is 14 x 14 door alomost to small for half the equip. too small for some but it was the biggest i could put in it your big door will need to be at least 16 ft wide putting a big door on the end an one small door on the side works well to oh an my shop can be empty one day an the next week its too small,keep in mind ele service also mine has more than enough an thats what i wanted got most tools do any job they arnt big expensive but they get the job done .then part and nut bolts fluids ect storage take more space than you think of course im the type i rob nuts an bolt any thing i can use or might use 5 yrs from now,with all its faults and teenage boys driveing into the doors ect its still beats laying on mud !in the rain an snow !build what you can afford an leave a direction to expand ,yea i wanta expand but cant aford it !shop/ storage was built for 10 thousad in 1980.

just add this the building cost 5000 did all work ourselves an you can tell when you watch somthing round roll across the floor an roll back ! but it worksdid concret in the dark with headlights .concrete think it was around 2000 .
make sure put thick 6inch at least or more at doors most wire ect were odds an ends i picked up on sale or clean out dumpsters from construction sites .with permmison from the contractors !other odd an ends cost the remainder ! then you got room to buy tools $$$$$$$$$$$

You're probably going to do this anyway, but make sure you put a standard walk-through door along with the overhead. You won't want to open the big door every time you go in.

I'm putting a 25X15 addition on the back of my shop. It will be for clean type work, i.e. painting, wood working, electrical, etc. The front (big shop) will be for dirty work, i.e., tractors, vehicles, equipment, etc.

dun":vqrf12fn said:
I'm putting a 25X15 addition on the back of my shop. It will be for clean type work, i.e. painting, wood working, electrical, etc. The front (big shop) will be for dirty work, i.e., tractors, vehicles, equipment, etc.
Doing it yourself or hiring it out?

We just started with this idea. Got one guy to look at it and roughly $10 a sq. ft. with concrete. My ideal location has an old house sitting there, trying to decide if we want to get rid of it and if we can really afford this. Would like to do it while I could still get some use out of it.

tom4018":2zx7x24h said:
dun":2zx7x24h said:
Doing it yourself or hiring it out?

We just started with this idea. Got one guy to look at it and roughly $10 a sq. ft. with concrete. My ideal location has an old house sitting there, trying to decide if we want to get rid of it and if we can really afford this. Would like to do it while I could still get some use out of it.
Hiring it done. About 9 a square foot including concrete and insulation and the dirt work to get the area graded right so that it will drain properly

Concrete is going to be a big part of your expense. You can always cement the room and lease the shop floor for later. not the best, but if you can do it in stages it can be affordable.

Also, get a tall wall and at least a 4/12 pitch. You will enjoy the space and you can store above the room.

Make one of your man doors 48".

dun":1qhirluw said:

And Model A pickup.

Latest posts