Shop air compressor?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 60 gallon air compressor. It will not see heavy use but want something decent. What is the best bang for the buck?

We bought a used but very new looking 30gal air compressor with an Ingersoll Rand pump on it, 2hp. It hasn't seen a lot of work except when we do body work.. it has run for 5 hours non stop running air sanders, etc and let me tell you it was hot!!! it's held up just fine

Look for a old used one too.
Quincy, devilbless (sp), IR, bell air. Those are all good ones. Cast iron is your friend.
I have a Quincy that was made in 1962.
Also if you have to go smaller than you want add a extra storage tank to it.

I have 2 Ingersoll Rand 80 gal, 1200.00 10 yrs ago (came with other place I bought) and 60 gallon 900.00 6 or 7 yrs ago . I run a variety of stuff off both including Sanders and paint guns . never had a issue with either.

The big Harbor Freight 2 stage is pretty good for the money. Bel-aire is the manufacturer, last I heard.

I'm in the market for one also, and had been eyeballing one of the 80 gallon IR compressors until I talked to a friend who bought one a couple years back. His will sometimes not start if it's really cold outside, and has given him a couple other issues. He previously used a Quincy and said the IR pales in comparison for what it's worth.

IMHO, anything less than $1000.00, in the next 4 or 5 years you will replace the electric motor or the compressor, and don't go with a oil free compressor ...
In my small shop I could use a much smaller compressor, except for 1 tool, air die grinder, them things use a ridicules amount of air.. If I were buying new compressor a Quincy QT5 would be the smallest I would consider..

jedstivers":e3ay2gcq said:
Look for a old used one too.
Quincy, devilbless (sp), IR, bell air. Those are all good ones. Cast iron is your friend.
I have a Quincy that was made in 1962.
Also if you have to go smaller than you want add a extra storage tank to it.
I worked for Quincy for almost 7 years. Best there is, not that I am biased or anything.

Seriously, we'd hear stories of some rough use on some old units.

Latest posts