Shooting Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT

Reaction score
I as wondering if anyone has followed this story about a SO CALLED HUNTER who shot a mans dogs to have something to shoot. Sounds as if he has gotten him self into some hot water. I first found the story on the NHTDA Facebook page { National Hound and Tree Dog Association } he is from Belmont County Ohio named Mike Chedester from what I am reading looks like he may have 2 felonies and even serve some time. I have to say that's not as bad as two men I know of that shot a mans hound and the hunter went back and killed the men.

I'm not familiar with your story, but that kind of crap is going on close to me now. Someone shot two dobermans on their owner's property and two weeks later a potbelly sow and her entire litter while they were behind a hog wire property fence just down the road from the dog attack. Needless to say the person(s) responsible will have a major a$$ kicking if they are found before the law does.

Google his name and you can find all the info.
Took there collars off for trophies, sick so called hunters like this makes it bad for true hunters. hope they make and example out of him and I think they will. One thing for sure he did not know what SSS means instead got on Facebook bragging about what he had did.

TennesseeTuxedo":23dtq2lb said:
That's as sorry as it gets.

Why? If the dogs were walked on a leash they'd still be alive. Do you let your dog's run wild? A lot of this story makes no sense to me, and the news is liberal and distorts the facts. Sure glad I'm not in Mike's shoe's though.

True Grit Farms":1uodw6hf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1uodw6hf said:
That's as sorry as it gets.

Why? If the dogs were walked on a leash they'd still be alive. Do you let your dog's run wild? A lot of this story makes no sense to me, and the news is liberal and distorts the facts. Sure glad I'm not in Mike's shoe's though.

Because I f'ing said so that's why.

I really dont approve of hunters that turn their dogs loose and let them go wherever. But, I understand that things happen, and dogs don't have a GPS. Had a lot of strays and neighbor dogs that show up and make a mess of our chickens or chase cows. Can't be mad at the dogs, feel really bad about shooting them, but you gotta protect what's yours.

What really irritates me is when someone dumps them off in the area. People get a puppy, lose interest when it grows up or move and can't take it with them, then drop them off out here and make it our problem

No sympathy for someone that shoots them just because. But, I'd also like to hear the other side of the story. The articles are pretty bleeding heart if you ask me.

Most states have a law that prohibits shooting dogs just because they're on your property.

Atimm693":2opp7lkb said:
I really dont approve of hunters that turn their dogs loose and let them go wherever. But, I understand that things happen, and dogs don't have a GPS. Had a lot of strays and neighbor dogs that show up and make a mess of our chickens or chase cows. Can't be mad at the dogs, feel really bad about shooting them, but you gotta protect what's yours.

What really irritates me is when someone dumps them off in the area. People get a puppy, lose interest when it grows up or move and can't take it with them, then drop them off out here and make it our problem

No sympathy for someone that shoots them just because. But, I'd also like to hear the other side of the story. The articles are pretty bleeding heart if you ask me.

Most states have a law that prohibits shooting dogs just because they're on your property.

Dog running loose in this part of the world is considered a target.
Surrounded by thousands of acres of hunting lease and neighbors that won't tolerate a problem. If you value your canine it better be on your place or with you.

Caustic Burno":395uyi0u said:
Atimm693":395uyi0u said:

Dog running loose in this part of the world is considered a target.
Surrounded by thousands of acres of hunting lease and neighbors that won't tolerate a problem. If you value your canine it better be on your place or with you.

Yes it is widely understood around here if your dog strays off your place then it might not come home.

Ken

I think there's a big difference between a property owner shooting a dog that's on HIS property, and a hunter shooting a dog anywhere else.

a month ago 3 dogs came here and ate 2 of our chickens.. only one dog left, and he wouldn't have had I been quicker.. They're in a hole, with the chickens.. if anyone ever goes digging for proof :p

We live at the edge of town so we get a few dogs thru here. I try to run them off unless they are messing with the chickens or cows. On Thanksgiving night last year I proved to all my neighbors that my chickens were more important to me than their free ranging pet dogs. Crazy thing, but the county commissioners passed a leash law years ago but failed to attach sanctions to it.

slick4591":2wpj6qua said:
We live at the edge of town so we get a few dogs thru here. I try to run them off unless they are messing with the chickens or cows. On Thanksgiving night last year I proved to all my neighbors that my chickens were more important to me than their free ranging pet dogs. Crazy thing, but the county commissioners passed a leash law years ago but failed to attach sanctions to it.

Fire at will
https://www.animallaw.info/statute/tx-d ... er-animals

In Texas you can shoot a dog for harassing livestock or if it is a threat to you. You can not shoot it just for crossing your property.

I try to give dogs the benefit of doubt once or twice but if people don't put collars with their name and phone # or if the dogs get out multiple times then its gone. I always feel bad because its not really the dogs fault.

We had a family member buy out another family member's property right in the middle of ours. They moved in and brought their 3 mutts with them that they just let roam free. You couldn't do any thing with out them just chasing and barking their butts off at you. When my dad asked them to keep the dogs on their property they got all pissy about it. :roll:

Brute 23":23ypa81r said:
In Texas you can shoot a dog for harassing livestock or if it is a threat to you. You can not shoot it just for crossing your property.

I try to give dogs the benefit of doubt once or twice but if people don't put collars with their name and phone # or if the dogs get out multiple times then its gone. I always feel bad because its not really the dogs fault.

This is exactly the way I feel and deal with the problem. I've never seen a dog that couldn't bite.

I have and,more than likely will again, shot dogs if they are bothering my livestock or aggressive toward me or my family. I have never and never will just shoot a dog that comes walking across my place. Some of you may ask why not?
1) It may be a kids pet that they care about just like I care about my cows. I would not want someone to kill my Grand sons pet so I wont kill theirs.
2) This old line ''keep em locked if you don't want em killed'' is STUPID if you have a dog, cat, bull, chicken, or any other animal they will get out some times. A tree falls over the fence some kid or some adult leaves the gate open many things can happen because things just happen.
3) paybacks can cost you a lot of money. I know a true story about paybacks that I would love to tell but can't. I will say the man that got paid back is 6' under and has a hard time killing hounds any more. for the record I WAS NOT INVOLVED. But knew the men that were. I THINK IT WAS TAKEN WAY TO FAR.
4) I try to live by the saying ''do unto others as you would have them do unto you'' It sure makes life easer with a lot less sleepless nights. I bet this Mike man would have did it different if he had it to do over.

I own several rentals, went to one last week and me and the tenant was in the yard when a Pit Bull comes and tried to bite him , pinned him against the wall, the first gun I grabbed from the PU was my old faithful .270 the dog backed down and I did not have to shoot. I could have and there would have been nothing that anyone could have done. I instead called the local police and they came out and took care of the problem. The result is I am not having to pay my attorney to fight a law suit that I would have been it the right. People can and will sue you for anything plus all the damage people can do you on social media now days. We live in a different world than what we did just a few years ago

''MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE''
KB

Latest posts