Shooting Cow....

Help Support CattleToday:

i have used a 22 mag close range but cow was restrained well few feet, anything in the open 3030
not trying to offend any one but most of these comments about pens an chutes have their truth but if you look at most location it will explain it
not to offend you but there is an old saying you can move cows west from east but it not a good idea to move them east from west range cattle are totally different than what you have in southern ohio
but cattle can an will turn heavy pens into junk real quick if they are scared or have a rough disposition to begin with .
there is some beautiful country side in your area

I've never been impressed with a .223 for taking down any animal. Bullet choice and placement have to be tight. Not much room for error.

30-30 or any of the pistol calibers in a lever gun are hard to beat for that kid of work.
Placement! Neighbor shot his psycho bull twice in the forehead with a 30-06 and that bull ran 2 miles, jumping 4 fences, and ended up in our woods. Couldn't find him. Two days later another neighbor called; bull was in his pasture, still bleeding but very much alive. He finished the job. Initial shots clearly in the sinus cavity.

Without getting to graphic, a .223 is to fast. When you knock cattle whether it be with a captive bolt or a gun the goal is to render them brain dead, but not actually dead. You want their heart to still be beating when you cut their throat. There is a huge difference between butchering and euthanasia.
Projectile type plays a huge role in effectively stunning cattle. No hollow points. Solid fmj style bullets, not Spitzer type.
It was their choice and their gun with solid projectile, and I never used them again. I only shared the story to hopefully keep someone from getting hurt by a mad wounded cow caused by an inadequate blow, like from a .22.

It was their choice and their gun with solid projectile, and I never used them again. I only shared the story to hopefully keep someone from getting hurt by a mad wounded cow caused by an inadequate blow, like from a .22.
Just like I could probably kill a bear with a 22 but when one is coming towards me I think big caliber with lots of knockdown.

I was just explaining, not criticizing. My dad has killed cows with a .222 and .22-250. Not Ideal, but sometimes it's what you have in the truck with you.

We've dropped about 20 head with a .22 rifle and never had an issue, some at a good distance. One shot and instantly on the ground, throat cut job done. If you are not dropping them first shot you are not hitting them right. Their brains are up high and small, 99% of failures are from being too low and into nasal area. If you see blood in nose you were off the mark. We hit one and just stood there. Second shot dropped her. Looking at the distance between the two shots was about a quarter inch higher for the kill shot.

I was just explaining, not criticizing. My dad has killed cows with a .222 and .22-250. Not Ideal, but sometimes it's what you have in the truck with you.
We're all friends here, I was just explaining as well. I never owned a rifle for years, then about fifteen years ago when out feeding cows three coyotes appeared out of nowhere and took after my dog and all I could do was watch her run desperately for the house. They followed her until out of my view, but apparently she made it. I bought a .223 for a varmit gun. It works admirably on coyotes and I've used it to put down cows but bought a 30 30 a few years ago and now it is my first choice. Had to put down a cow last spring and the neighbor was closer so he came out with a 44 mag which did the job, I might have to get one of those with a holster for myself.

No doubt shot placement is critical, you just have a larger margin of error with a more powerful projectile. But on an older bovine, that skull can get pretty thick, I've heard stories of the bullet just sitting on the forehead. In fact, witnessed it one time on a sow with a .22 many years ago.

I've killed more stuff than I will admit to with a 22 but it's not going to be my first choice given other options.

The reality is most the time when you need a gun for these situations the optimal solution has long flown the coupe. At that point it's time for quick and effective no matter the conditions.

Around here, I have a "non" USDA butcher shop. He will come out to the farm, drop the cow, and gut them out and haul to his shop to hang.
He always uses a 22 (LR?), whether we haul them to his shop or he comes out. But, I have never seen him miss - 1st shot down.
You do want to make preparations to salvage the meat.

I had a butcher shop come out one time for a cow with a broken leg. She took three hits from a .223 in the forehead to knock her down and they were all well placed shots on a cripple. Anyone who would try that with a .22 on a healthy mobile cow has a higher tolerance for excitement than I have. Every butcher shop I ever witnessed stuns the animal behind the poll, except for those guys. If I had a cow like the one described, I'd go hunting from a safe distance and take a heart/lung shot with a hunting rifle although that twelve gauge slug would work too. I've seen what a mad cow can do. A neighbor couple some years ago both spent time in the hospital when a cow took after them. Seems she could go through fences and gates faster than the neighbors could crawl under or over them. The advise to get her before she gets you is spot on.
injured animals are already "high" from adrenaline and pain, it can take more to put them down than a healthy animal

Properly placed bullet any caliber will do. Stretched between two ropes, she's helpless. Might even learn how helpless she is. I'd call somebody, with the skill set to get her loaded.

This is very interesting. For the most part I've always just used a 22. Hadn't really thought about having anything larger for this use. Have euthanized cattle, horses, and hogs off the top of my head with one with no issues. Having said that I haven't been in a situation of an adrenaline fueled animal euthanasia, injured but not running crazy. Given me something to think about. Good to have a plan on what I would use in this situation.

I've only seen one that was truly nuts, at the sale barn in a pen by herself, and when I walked around the building to take a look at the pens, she charged. I wasn't within 40 ft of the pen, and she charged again and again, against the pipe. She wasn't getting out, but I got out of her sight. I would have shot her before I would have took her to the barn. I did shoot one with a compound fractured front leg, from about 15 ft with a 3030, and it bounced, next one behind her ear. Spent all day thinking about how that would have felt in my guts, never again.

Latest posts