Shooting a Golf Ball with the .17HMR

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1010598.jpg

It was a Titleist. Bullet disintegrated before reaching the center and caused the ball to roll about 30 yards in some deep rough.

If it was a par four hole, how was your approach shot, being in the rough and all. :compute: :compute: :compute:

HerefordSire":isws7ryo said:
If it was a par four hole, how was your approach shot, being in the rough and all. :compute: :compute: :compute:
:lol2: Approach shot didn't get it into the rough. More like a forest.To answer your question, the approach shot was horrible. A textbook 6 iron slice. I took a drop into the rough from the point the ball was last seen heading into a thicket of cat claw briars, gallberrys, wax myrtle, and variously assorted pines and hardwoods.

Gotta love those 17's.

BTW you're not shooting a Remington Semi-auto(model 597 I think) are you. I just heard they recalled all of them. and are definately recomending against shooting Rem 17 HNR in ANY semiauto's.

3way, no mine's a Savage synthetic/stainless bolt action with a 5 shot clip. Made in Ontario. I've been shooting the CCI V-max cartridges. I bought a box last week and saw where they had some full metal jackets. I can't think of a reason for those. It'd be like sticking an ice pick in something.

ga. prime":khw4t2wb said:
3way, no mine's a Savage synthetic/stainless bolt action with a 5 shot clip. Made in Ontario. I've been shooting the CCI V-max cartridges. I bought a box last week and saw where they had some full metal jackets. I can't think of a reason for those. It'd be like sticking an ice pick in something.

Only reason I can think of is for pigs. Punch a hole in him and let him die on your neighbors property. Just a thought.

Jogeephus":1y9744if said:
ga. prime":1y9744if said:

Only reason I can think of is for pigs. Punch a hole in him and let him die on your neighbors property.

:D That's a good reason.

ga. prime":1sp94qeb said:
HerefordSire":1sp94qeb said:
:lol2: Approach shot didn't get it into the rough. More like a forest.To answer your question, the approach shot was horrible. A textbook 6 iron slice. I took a drop into the rough from the point the ball was last seen heading into a thicket of cat claw briars, gallberrys, wax myrtle, and variously assorted pines and hardwoods.

Now we know how you learned about all the plants and wildlife in GA... :lol2: :lol2:

I've got a Savage like yours, ss bolt action with a synthetic stock. It's a great varmint gun. The only thing I don't like about it, is the clip design. Any little bump, and the clip pops out.

SkinMan":28r0qicm said:
I've got a Savage like yours, ss bolt action with a synthetic stock. It's a great varmint gun. The only thing I don't like about it, is the clip design. Any little bump, and the clip pops out.

Mine gets treated pretty rough, laying on the back seat of my pickup most of the time and I've never had a problem with the clip falling out. Maybe yours needs a little dust in it? :D

OK Tex, since you're putting me on the spot here, I'm gonna be real honest with ya. I shot it once from about 30 yards out. Hit it a little off center and not much apparent damage- bullet didn't exit- just made a slight bulge on one quadrant. So, then I shot it from close up and that shot busted open the cover revealling the damage from the first shot. The answer to your question is I hit it both times I fired at it. :D

ga. prime":1h6hvg0p said:
OK Tex, since you're putting me on the spot here, I'm gonna be real honest with ya. I shot it once from about 30 yards out. Hit it a little off center and not much apparent damage- bullet didn't exit- just made a slight bulge on one quadrant. So, then I shot it from close up and that shot busted open the cover revealling the damage from the first shot. The answer to your question is I hit it both times I fired at it. :D

I would not have expected anything less from a true southern fellow. Good shootin'. :clap: Little rascal has a punch too. ;-)

Latest posts