Shipping fever

Help Support CattleToday:

John IN

Reaction score
What exactly is shipping fever. The reason I ask is I purchased a angus cow do to calf in April and the guy does not want to bring her to me till it warmes up a little. Said she could get shipping fever it being so cold.

It's a disease that is caused by either extreme temperature changes or over movement. I think you can give them a shot of LA200 and it will perk them right up.

Shipping fever is actually a "complex" not a specific disease. It's normally associated with respritory. It cna be caused by stress which weakens the animals immune resistance to various things they have been/ will be/ or may be exposed to, or just the stress it'self. We used to give shot of Nuflor whenever we browught in any stock from outside the farm. We then kept them isolated from the others for a couple of weeks. Depending on the herd they came from we would just put them straight in with the others, sometimes with a shot of Nuflor, sometimes not. TTaht's the only time we use antibiotics as a preventative. Doesn;t really prevent I supose, but keeps the problem weak enough that the animal can fight it off on it's own.

dun

What exactly is shipping fever. The reason I ask is I purchased a angus cow do to calf in April and the guy does not want to bring her to me till it warmes up a little. Said she could get shipping fever it being so cold.

With salesyard cattle Nuflor or Baytril will work the best, the only problem is last time I tried to purchase it you needed a prescription. Now I use LA200 as a preventative its a lot cheaper. And also sulfa in the water. Like Dun sez also isolated, for a coupla weeks is important.

Latest posts