Shipping Fever Vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I have some stock shipping out and decided something missing from their vaccinations was Shipping Fever. The name has been changed. The bacteria that causes shipping fever was previously classified in the genus Pasteurella. It is now classified in the genus Mannheimia. The species is Mannheimia haemolytica. It also covers Pasteurella multocida.

The vaccine I used is only for shipping fever. No other organisms are included.

It is called Once PMH IN. Stands for Pasteurella Mannheimia Haemolytica Intra Nasal. It is an avirulent live culture. Not to be confused with MLV. Administered intranasal.

Edited to add: only requires one vaccination! That is a big advantage if the need to ship!!!!!

a0v1gh.jpg

Had not seen that product before; will have to research it and consider incorporating it into our pre-weaning protocol, if better response than the injectible Mannheimia/Pasteurella bacterin-mlv BVD product we're currently using.

By the way... the Mannheimia 'name change' occurred 30 years or more ago... just sayin'... welcome to the 20th Century. lol

Lucky_P":2fl9m2fr said:
Had not seen that product before; will have to research it and consider incorporating it into our pre-weaning protocol, if better response than the injectible Mannheimia/Pasteurella bacterin-mlv BVD product we're currently using.

By the way... the Mannheimia 'name change' occurred 30 years or more ago... just sayin'... welcome to the 20th Century. lol

Yes. That Pasteurella genus is hard to get over.

Lucky - it only requires one intranasal round. No follow-up except annual.

BTW: That means you are using BSG One Shot.

or does it also mention during periods of stress? Works good and quickly. I think the injection would prove to be more beneficial unless you do not know the vaccination history of the animal and it is going to be stressed by you.

Ebenezer":35fzfnhh said:
or does it also mention during periods of stress? Works good and quickly. I think the injection would prove to be more beneficial unless you do not know the vaccination history of the animal and it is going to be stressed by you.

It says only one initial dose provides immunity and "vaccinate annually" after that.

It is reasonable to vaccinate at least 3 days before hauling to give the immune response time to occur. The advantage over all the other injectable vaccines is the "avirulent live culture". Should give a good immune response.

kenny thomas":r11vi28o said:
How does this compare to Presponse MH injectable

Kenny - as far as the preparation - apples and oranges. Presponse MH is prepared as a Toxoid for Mh. A bacterin for the Pasteurella multocida. Once PMH IN is an avirulent live culture (bacteria not virus).

I would expect a better immune response from Once PMH. But I have no data, basing it on the live culture normally gives a better immune response as a general rule.

I switched from injectable products to Once PMH IN in 2013. No observable side affects & feed back from buyers has been positive. A decided plus...nasal route of administration is one less opportunity for tissue damage.

Don't read too much into the vaccinate annually label, I would not read it to mean you are going to get a 12 month duration of immunity out of a single dose. I would still try to focus on administering the product a couple weeks prior to expected stress, or at disease outbreak if necessary. I'd be cautious vaccinating spring born calves at 2 months of age and expecting them to have continued strong immunity when weaning at 7 months of age. I'd be looking at doing another pasteurella at pre-conditioning.

Lastly, the bovi-one shot and pyramid presponse products both have 2 dose labels, but I think you would be surprised with the degree of vaccination you would likely get with a single dose. I'm sure there is no data comparing a single dose of Once IN and a single dose of Presponse, but for about 2 months following vaccination, I would bet there isn't a huge difference in efficacy between the products when used in weaning age calves.

Dempster":22d95j8c said:
Don't read too much into the vaccinate annually label, I would not read it to mean you are going to get a 12 month duration of immunity out of a single dose. I would still try to focus on administering the product a couple weeks prior to expected stress, or at disease outbreak if necessary. I'd be cautious vaccinating spring born calves at 2 months of age and expecting them to have continued strong immunity when weaning at 7 months of age. I'd be looking at doing another pasteurella at pre-conditioning.
I use the Boehringer Presponse HM and its advertised as single dise

Lastly, the bovi-one shot and pyramid presponse products both have 2 dose labels, but I think you would be surprised with the degree of vaccination you would likely get with a single dose. I'm sure there is no data comparing a single dose of Once IN and a single dose of Presponse, but for about 2 months following vaccination, I would bet there isn't a huge difference in efficacy between the products when used in weaning age calves.
I use the Boehringer brand and it's advertised as a one shot. But it also says to booster before stress times. It also says for calves over 7 months of age.

Bright Raven":8sj0hcjg said:
I have some stock shipping out and decided something missing from their vaccinations was Shipping Fever. The name has been changed. The bacteria that causes shipping fever was previously classified in the genus Pasteurella. It is now classified in the genus Mannheimia. The species is Mannheimia haemolytica. It also covers Pasteurella multocida.

The vaccine I used is only for shipping fever. No other organisms are included.

It is called Once PMH IN. Stands for Pasteurella Mannheimia Haemolytica Intra Nasal. It is an avirulent live culture. Not to be confused with MLV. Administered intranasal.

Edited to add: only requires one vaccination! That is a big advantage if the need to ship!!!!!

a0v1gh.jpg

Been using it at birth several years now. Good product.

Drug pushers say it has more benefits when boostered at branding than using a live sub cue vaccine such as Vista once. BVD is covered by vaccinating the cows.
Going to use it at branding this year. Have never been convinced that the sub que live was doing much good in young calves less than 4 months old.

Latest posts