Shipping Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Shipped our calves to the sale yard today. The sale is tommorow. hubby is going to it.
Steers averaged 543# and heifers averaged 549#. Had 11 head that were under 500#.

IMG_2681.jpg

Hubby getting squeezed by 3 steers

IMG_2674.jpg

Last chance for a bite to eat.

IMG_2687.jpg

Steer

IMG_2689.jpg

4-H steer

looks like yall have a good set of fall calves.hope you get a good price for them.

What a nice set of calves! I hope you get close to what they are worth.

I'm very tired of people telling me about my Herefords that I'd "get 5 cents more if they were black"!

I think in the very near future we will be seeing less emphasis on hide color and more on quality (as you show here!) and economic traits rather than just "hide color".

Please let us know how the sale goes. Thanks for posting the pictures. Best of luck.

jmho.

Jim

Goodlooking critters. Curious on what your shrink will be with an overnight stay without mom and a truck drive. Let us know how it turns out.

It's interesting that your heifers averaged 6 pounds heavier than the steers. Our heifers are typically significantly lighter than the steers. In fact off the top of my head I can't remember a time when the heifers were within 30 pounds.

ILH... I salute you on some GREAT looking young stock!! :tiphat:

I hope you topped the sale!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice calves. Those steers look good to. Hope you get a good price. Mine are wormed taged and we got them off mom last weekend. Oh and dehorned.

Which bull were they out of?

i luv herfrds

I'm not sure what the prefrence in your area is, but I like bunk broke calves as yours are. I'm not sure how the sales in your area work if they announce the calves or not on the way in but if you are selling as bunk broke my suggestion would be to lower that top board at the bunk a bit more, thus displaying they are truely bunk broke. I have been told many times calves are weaned and bunk broke only to find out they wasn't. That missing hair is proof I like seeing.

Here are the sale results. Market is pretty soft right now, but better then the 60 cwt we used to get.

20 steers calves avg. 475# 96 cwt
3 steer calves avg. 565# 90 cwt
5 heifer calves avg. 448# 80 cwt.
3 steer calves avg. 491# 92 cwt
4 heifer calves avg. 495# 80 cwt

JHH these calve are all out of our bull, Red, we got from Dale Sand. This spring we will be getting calves out of our new Churchill bull and our Bear Market bull. Also the 2 AI'd to GH Rambo.

Options we start the calves on feed out in the pasture. The cows teach the calves to eat the hay. We don't like keeping them in the corral for longer then we have to due to dust pnuemonia.

wow..yall did great..i avg'd 70 2 weeks ago on abunch of braford reds goin between 450-800..only 2400 lbs between em and i took a beating..

good for you!

I luv herfrds":uqw9ovl2 said:
Here are the sale results. Market is pretty soft right now, but better then the 60 cwt we used to get.

20 steers calves avg. 475# 96 cwt
3 steer calves avg. 565# 90 cwt
5 heifer calves avg. 448# 80 cwt.
3 steer calves avg. 491# 92 cwt
4 heifer calves avg. 495# 80 cwt

JHH these calve are all out of our bull, Red, we got from Dale Sand. This spring we will be getting calves out of our new Churchill bull and our Bear Market bull. Also the 2 AI'd to GH Rambo.

Options we start the calves on feed out in the pasture. The cows teach the calves to eat the hay. We don't like keeping them in the corral for longer then we have to due to dust pnuemonia.

Thanks for posting. These are good looking calves. How did these prices compare to any black calves at the sale? I would hate to think there was any discount on your calves because of color at all.

Those may be good compared to other recent prices but really calves like those shown should be selling for much higher prices to produce a decent return. Those 96 cent steers as pictured should be well over $1 in my opinion. How did they compare to any black calves at the sale?

Jim

I hate to see us congratulate ourselves on prices that are really far below what our product is worth.

Looks like your prices are about the same as prices in Alberta(given the dollar conversion). It is a pretty sad situation, but the market is what the market is! Hopefully things will turn around next year....we've been saying that up here for about 7 years!
For many up here in Alberta the bleeding is going to end this year(including me). One more good screwing and we are going to be free. But I do hope it turns around for you.

SR my hubby went to watch the sale. He said there were some black calves that went just a bit higher, but there was some blacks that went lower too. It really depended upon the buyer.

Latest posts