Shipped the old cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So we shipped the broken mouth cows on Sunday they got processed on Monday. I got the check yesterday. 32 cows averaged $804. The price range was from $1.49 at the top to $1.32 at the low end. That is hanging weight. I had 20 at $1.49, 11 at $1.48, and one at $1.40. There is still 5 cows that the cowboys missed. They will show up eventually. The calves have been weaned and look to average around 450-500. They will be kicked out on an irrigated hay field with good green grass until late September.

I averaged paying $657 a head when I bought them. I haven't done all the numbers yet so all these number are my best guess at this point. Approximately 110 days on feed (hay) at $2 a day = $220. And 115 days on pasture at $0.75 a day = $87.50. So $307.50 in cost. $804 minus $657 = $147 income from cows to put against feed cost. There is $160.50 against the calves. They will have about another $40 worth of pasture against them before they get sold. Steers weighing 500 pounds are bringing over $1.70. Heifers are $1.50. So steers at $850 and heifers at $750 will have $200 against them. The rest is profit.
At $1.49 hanging weight a cow that hangs up 50% is $0.745 a pound live.
Hay prices are a lot higher this year so I will have to sharpen my pencil. I will either have to pay less for the cows or wait and buy them later into the winter. We will wait and see.

When they process those cows, do they essentially just become burger?
I spent a week at JBS packers in Green Bay, pot load after pot load of dairy culls came through. I asked the fella running the "last" gate if they're mostly burger cows.
"OH no, steaks and everything!" Terribly thin they were. I think they processed 1800 beef a shift.

Broken mouth cattle you will get a little more at the packer and taking the sale bill out. The guy buying at the stock yard is not making a killing from what I have seen either. We have a slaughter house not far off that buys direct and usually if I have something that pretty sure will take a beating at the market I take direct. You will come out good Dave.

When they process those cows, do they essentially just become burger?
No. They don't make much "ground meat", they usually make burger from lips and trim.

I was told with the very high demand for burger they are grinding some "roasts" currently.
The small chewy steaks you get in some chain restaurants often come from cull cows.

Last edited:
We have been shipping pairs to the sales barn. Calves are bigger now, so we tried splits last week. Cows grossed $773 each, but there was $72 in fees and shipping... Will do it a bit different next time.

Many guys here are selling calves early and then buying back corn silage to "save" their cows. I think they would make more money selling some cows and feeding corn silage to retained calves.

Last edited:
@Dave
You shipping into Kuna? What they charging ya to haul, I'm assuming it's by the mile? Just curious, have a local guy wanting me to haul some culls so wanting to figure a fair price but still make it worth my time/costs.

@Dave
You shipping into Kuna? What they charging ya to haul, I'm assuming it's by the mile? Just curious, have a local guy wanting me to haul some culls so wanting to figure a fair price but still make it worth my time/costs.
Yep, the cows went to Kuna. I am not sure what it cost to haul them. It was a partner deal with a neighbor. I do a lot of work for him for free. As a result I often don't get a bill for things. It is his way of paying me. I know there was 2 semi loads. One hauled by Agar out of Ontario and one hauled by GW Clark from Long Creek. GW is a family friend of the neighbor and a young guy starting out. They try to throw business his way.

I do the same thing, have a couple guys that help me and exchange they borrow equipment or take a little hay or what ever to make it come out in the end. I also go help them when needed. Nice to have good neighbors & friends.

Latest posts