Shiny Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
Shiny Heifers what do they mean?
My brother just bought 2 red angus yearlings that are about 800 lbs. That have been in a feedlot for a short time the seller called them shiny heifers and they might not breed.
He want to try and get them bread with our old bull. He is easy caving.
Thanks for the info he got them cheap Jeff

:? :shock: I believe you are in MN. If you type in University of MN extension there is a nice article about practice of spaying heifers in feedlots. Talks about the money saved. The weight gains and the problems avoided. They have proably been given hormones to prevent pregnancy even if they havent been spayed. Might be temporary.

Might consider feeding them out and eating them.

Thanks and yes from Minnesota
The farmer called it his feedlot but if they don't breed he still got a deal
Jeff

Usually used to refer to animals that slick up quickly with a nice hair coat.
Fat heifers that are not gaining well are harder to get in calf.

My brother just brought the 2 heifers home.
I know now why he got a deal. One went through the arena fence the other went over it before the trailer gate was shut....I'm so glad for hot elect. fence that stop them for time to get the old cows/calves to start calming them down. Now I have one in one pasture the other in another one.
The joys of new cattle. Thanks for listening Jeff

With any luck the others will calm them down. Although it usually works the other way, the calm cows become spooky from the goofy cows.

JeffK-MN":39yqnfel said:
I know now why he got a deal. One went through the arena fence the other went over it before the trailer gate was shut....

Great stockman ship practice opportunities! You can work one, and than the other, but you may want to keep the deer rifle handy just in case. :cowboy:

It is all working out they have calmed down and are with the older cows.
For now it good. Thanks Jeff

Latest posts