Shetland types

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
Give me some feedback on this, please. The Classic Shetland is the short, shaggy, heavy boned, draft horse type. The Modern Shetland is a taller, more refined version. The American Shetland has had Thoroughbred infused to create a stylish, upstanding pony. Is this correct?

J. T.":1dmqpu7e said:
Give me some feedback on this, please. The Classic Shetland is the short, shaggy, heavy boned, draft horse type. The Modern Shetland is a taller, more refined version. The American Shetland has had Thoroughbred infused to create a stylish, upstanding pony. Is this correct?

I would use the first part of your first description leaving out the draft horse part because their legs are not that heavy. Never seen a Shetland described by your second descripton. You may be thinking of English Cobb or Welsh ponies that fit this descripton. Thoroughbred infusion would add too much height.

J. T.":jsjrcfmf said:

More or less, the answer is 'yes'.

Katherine

Saw some Berkshire Curley Minis on a site 'tother day..also some Arab,Appalousa, many other types..

hayray":24ebnfre said:
J. T.":24ebnfre said:

I would use the first part of your first description leaving out the draft horse part because their legs are not that heavy. Never seen a Shetland described by your second descripton. You may be thinking of English Cobb or Welsh ponies that fit this descripton. Thoroughbred infusion would add too much height.

Shetlands are in fact listed as draft ponies. They were originally developed to pull the coal cars out of the mines in England. The modern Shetlands have been refined some to give them more eye appeal but they still pull better then they ride.Z