She's keeping me guessing....

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear about Lulu . Sending positive thoughts and energy your way and wishing her a full and speedy recovery .

Coming in late here. Hope that all turns out well for Lulu. She is a beautiful cow. Happy that she had the calf Ok, condolences that it is a bull.
I was hoping for a heifer out of our jersey and got a bull too.

Oh alison! I was so pleased to see you got your baby, but now I read this. I would not have even known where to begin to help her, but it sounds like you are doing all you can and a great job at that. Hoping we hear better news today, and all is well!

Thank you all for your positive thoughts and support, it is appreciated. :D

Early morning - Lulu's breathing is labored and rasping, yellow discharge from nose....not good. Still refusing water and food. Cleaned her up and got her onto her other side, offered her some cut up butternut. Gingerly ate the whole butternut :D . Lifted her, she stood on her own took a couple of steps and collapsed again, that left her exhausted. Didn't try lifting again today, just rotated sides.

By lunch time the yellow discharge was a lot less, breathing not as labored. She started showing interest in her calf, tries to get up quite often but just can't lift the back.

Late afternoon - she eats 2 butternuts, 12 carrots, 5 baby marrows and some spinach :p , about and hour later she starts drinking water. Just before dusk we hear a sound coming from her pen, there she was lying flat gasping for air. Crew had left so pulled her upright with a rope and tractor and packed bales and tyres(yes HD :shock:) around her, no ways she will manage to lie flat....I hope. She promptly drank a whole lot more water and ate more veggies, won't touch corn, molasses, bran, Lucerne etc. She's looking quiet bright and alert.

So far so good, will have to check her again later. Oh, and Sonny will be ready for some more milk ;-), he's doing well. Will update you all in the morn, let's hope it's good news.

I'll keep the fingers crossed for more good news. Glad to hear she has interest in eating.....her vegetables. That's a good theng.

Glad the calf is well.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":wqq0iv1e said:
I'll keep the fingers crossed for more good news. Glad to hear she has interest in eating.....her vegetables. That's a good theng.

Glad the calf is well.

Katherine
Thanks Katherine, today she ate everything that was offered to her :D

Well, the girl is still down but eating vigorously. She continues with attempts to rise and is rotating sides regularly without assistance. I didn't lift her today, thought it would be better for her to just relax and heal. If she is not up by tomorrow she will be assisted. Her breathing and temps are normal again. Sonny and Candy are getting a little impatient and are doing quiet a bit of urging, it's amazing to watch the interactions between them. :D

We had a thunder storm pass by last night, as much as we needed rain I hoped it would go elsewhere - that kraal(pen) can get like a mud bath and would lessen Lulu's chances of standing on her own.

My girl is up, what a lovely sight. The calf is drinking well and does not have a spot on it that has not been licked by ma. He keeps her on the move alright, he's actually a bit of a delinquent - he will be steered and dehorned very soon, head butting tractor tyre already :shock:

Here she is, a little dirty and horn casing bashed off in her struggle to right herself -

Couldn't get a nice pic of Sonny :roll: -

Thanks again to all for your support :D

Latest posts