She's gone

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Bertha, the only cow I have who is worthy of a name died sometime last night. The place won't be the same without her. She was a huge crossed-up-something-another and was gentle as they come. She was the lead cow and others took note of whatever she did. She'd come to you like a dog and was great at bringing the cattle to where I needed them. She would calm new calves brought in. She was a jewel. Once she even knocked a crazy brangus down that was fixing to blind-side me. She was my protector. My friend. My 1600 lb teddy bear. After she saved me I vowed I'd never sell her and she would die on the farm. She's been in my companion now for 15 years and typically dropped a calf on January the 10th like clockwork. I noticed she was being a little slower than normal so I wasn't to surprised to find her today laying just like she was chewing her cud only she had passed. Peacefully for sure. I hate it and will miss her but I'll always have the memories of her.

Jogeephus":c0fp81xi said:
Bertha, the only cow I have who is worthy of a name died sometime last night. The place won't be the same without her. She was a huge crossed-up-something-another and was gentle as they come. She was the lead cow and others took note of whatever she did. She'd come to you like a dog and was great at bringing the cattle to where I needed them. She would calm new calves brought in. She was a jewel. Once she even knocked a crazy brangus down that was fixing to blind-side me. She was my protector. My friend. My 1600 lb teddy bear. After she saved me I vowed I'd never sell her and she would die on the farm. She's been in my companion now for 15 years and typically dropped a calf on January the 10th like clockwork. I noticed she was being a little slower than normal so I wasn't to surprised to find her today laying just like she was chewing her cud only she had passed. Peacefully for sure. I hate it and will miss her but I'll always have the memories of her.

Lost my mom the same way.

TennesseeTuxedo":2f0zpdlx said:
Jogeephus":2f0zpdlx said:

That is a nice story too.

Joe,

Don't pay any attention to TT. He has no heart. If you busted his head open, all you would find is money.

Dang it, I try not to get that attached to my animals but she deserved it. Maybe you can find a replacement for her in Fitzgerald, a lot of nice easy going animals go through there you know.

Bright Raven":26f41n61 said:
Joe,

Don't pay any attention to TT. He has no heart. If you busted his head open, all you would find is money.

How much do you reckon I could get? Think it'd be worth the squeeze? :lol2:

True Grit Farms":pu6n4fhr said:
Dang it, I try not to get that attached to my animals but she deserved it. Maybe you can find a replacement for her in Fitzgerald, a lot of nice easy going animals go through there you know.

I don't know if she could ever be replaced. I try not to get to attached to them but the night she saved me from getting caught set her apart from any cow I've ever seen. She normally moved slow and without a care and I happened to walk past her to shut a gate by the coral and there were a few calves laying beside the board fence and I didn't pay them any mind but one of them belonged to the meanest cow I've ever been around and unbeknownst to me she charged me from my blind side. What startled me was Bertha because she all of a sudden bolted like a rodeo bull out of the gate. I didn't know what was going on. Startled I looked in Bertha's direction and she was in the process of mauling that crazy cow. I mean she hit it with all 1600 lbs and sent that 1000 pounder to the ground where Bertha kept head butting her till I was safe. Never seen a cow show such protection for a human being. She earned her name and a retirement home.

Jogeephus":187dquwt said:
True Grit Farms":187dquwt said:

I don't know if she could ever be replaced. I try not to get to attached to them but the night she saved me from getting caught set her apart from any cow I've ever seen. She normally moved slow and without a care and I happened to walk past her to shut a gate by the coral and there were a few calves laying beside the board fence and I didn't pay them any mind but one of them belonged to the meanest cow I've ever been around and unbeknownst to me she charged me from my blind side. What startled me was Bertha because she all of a sudden bolted like a rodeo bull out of the gate. I didn't know what was going on. Startled I looked in Bertha's direction and she was in the process of mauling that crazy cow. I mean she hit it with all 1600 lbs and sent that 1000 pounder to the ground where Bertha kept head butting her till I was safe. Never seen a cow show such protection for a human being. She earned her name and a retirement home.

Joe,

That happened to me one time. But it wasn't a mean cow. It was a mean girlfriend. There was three of us sitting at the table in my apartment. The girl got mad and threw one of those heavy ash trays at me. My roommate stuck his head in the way and shielded me. Cut a gash in his head 3 inches long. He said she just missed me but I know he did it to save me.

TennesseeTuxedo":c677sj3j said:
Jogeephus":c677sj3j said:

It was very sad day
But you can still call me Daddy

Bright Raven":1wyfcx71 said:
Jogeephus":1wyfcx71 said:
True Grit Farms":1wyfcx71 said:

Joe,

That happened to me one time. But it wasn't a mean cow. It was a mean girlfriend. There was three of us sitting at the table in my apartment. The girl got mad and threw one of those heavy ash trays at me. My roommate stuck his head in the way and shielded me. Cut a gash in his head 3 inches long. He said she just missed me but I know he did it to save me.

You were lucky Raven. Seen a fellow get his ear beat right off his head with a ashtray once.

Sorry you lost your cow Jo . I have no. Doubt You'll pull through.

That is a good story and I can relate, but it does make you sound like a hippie hobby farmer. I hope you can live with yourself.

Bright Raven":2hwdt2q1 said:
Joe,

I'm sure you are right in your assessment. Your friend is just trying to be modest. Some of us try to stay low key and keep out of the eyes of the fame and the paparazzi.

Jogeephus":238eccfm said:
Probably wouldn't hurt a think to sort of memorialize Bertha with a special service down on your place. Maybe break out some of the good stuff for invited guest and just the get together run it's course. Should get you out of the dumps anyway.

Sorry to hear that Jo. I hate losing animals. I got an old crippled horse that is my buddy it will be sad enough if he dies on his own can't imagine if I have to put him down.

Latest posts