Shell Shocked Simmental Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Just wanted to get some opinions from fellow Simmental breeders on the bull Shell Shocked. I have just AI'd some heifers to him, and would like to get your thoughts on him. I chose him strictly for calving ease. Does anyone have or had calves from him? I'm curious to see how they perform. My goal is functional cattle with eye appeal. Has anyone seen the bull in person? The heifers I have bred to him include SAM, Perfect Vision, and Oracle daughters. Thanks in advance!

Hey everybody! Just wanted to get some opinions from fellow Simmental breeders on the bull Shell Shocked. I have just AI'd some heifers to him, and would like to get your thoughts on him. I chose him strictly for calving ease. Does anyone have or had calves from him? I'm curious to see how they perform. My goal is functional cattle with eye appeal. Has anyone seen the bull in person? The heifers I have bred to him include SAM, Perfect Vision, and Oracle daughters. Thanks in advance!
I have used shell shocked but haven't had a live calf out of him yet. The first Heifer I bred to him had a 100 lb calf we had to pull and lost it. I blamed the large calf on the heifer cause this year she had the same size calf out of a different bull we managed to save the calf but lost the cow. I also bred another Heifer to him but sold her as a bred. I later talked to the guy that bought her and he said the calf was stillborn but I don't think she had any issues in calving.
I used him again this year. I would definitely feel good using him on heifers. I think I just had some bad luck that had nothing to do with the him.
I haven't seen him personally but I have seen some calves out of him and they looked good but nothing extra special. I had a cow and bull from shell shocked's flush sister Victoria Secret that I really liked. Victoria secret is a very nice cow i have seen her in person. She is big. They weighed her a few weeks before calving one year and she was over 2000 lbs.

If you reread my previous post I mentioned that I don't feel that it was his fault. The heifer with the calving trouble wasn't good on calving ease so I blame it on her since she had trouble calving with a different bull. I think a lot of times guys blame calving trouble on the bull when the heifer has half the influence as well. The other Heifer had a stillborn calf which had nothing to do with the sire. Shelled Shocked is in the top 2% in the simmental for calving ease.
As far as his sister she is a big cow but I know the guy that owns her real well and he said they rarely have a calf over 80# out of her and they have had a lot of et calves out of her.

Latest posts