Shelf life.

Help Support CattleToday:

somn

Reaction score
How many of you are feeding the 1000 IU per head per day for the last 90 days? With the cost of these Vitamins I'm starting to wonder who is actually benefiting here me or the packer. One of those old questions is the dog wagging it's tail or is the tail wagging the dog.

Somn..Vitamins, especially "A" begin to deteriorate almost the minute you open the bag. A&E both are affected by heat, moisture, fat, trace minerals, and nitrates in the finished feed. Levels of both continue to decrease the longer feed is stored but some folks are now using synthetic "E" as it is more stable especially in high moisture rations.

Whether or not you get your moneys worth ?? Good question :?

It used to be 6.5 to as much as 10 dollars per live cwt premium for feeding it. But even then who did I help more. They were able to keep meat on the retail shelf for 2 days more and in reality if they would have had to throw it away they would have needed more meat from me 2 days sooner. But they did pay me more and the overall health appears to be somewhat better. It just leaves more questions.

Somn if you can still get that premium it seems it would be to your advantage to go ahead and keep feeding it. Buying the vitamins in very high concentrations is expensive but takes so little to get the 1000 IU per day into the cow. Last A&E I bought for feed inclusion was around $13 a lb. but takes a miniscule amount to get the needed amount into each animal each day. I'd say keep feeding it and at least you know you fed as recommended. Hopefully the effort will show up on in the check. :nod:

Latest posts