sheet metal for crowding tub

Help Support CattleToday:

joeu235

Reaction score
I'm building some cattle pens. What's is a good sheet metal thickness for the crowding tub walls? 14 gauge? 11 gauge?

M-5":3jptl62x said:
I've never checked thickness on one . it's going to depend on the bracing , I would think 16ga would be standard but don't know for sure

You need it not to bang, wood is nicer and quieter, or go as thick as you can afford, have the structure for.

lavacarancher":1t6wckb3 said:
wbvs58":1t6wckb3 said:
1.2mm
Ken
Now you're messing with us Norte Americano's heads. :lol:
Don't know any other measurements now, I used to.
The thickness really depends on what support is behind it. With building anything there is a real "art" in not overbuilding, making things light but strong.
Ken

wbvs58":l9l7s0tv said:
lavacarancher":l9l7s0tv said:
wbvs58":l9l7s0tv said:
1.2mm
Ken
Now you're messing with us Norte Americano's heads. :lol:
Don't know any other measurements now, I used to.
The thickness really depends on what support is behind it. With building anything there is a real "art" in not overbuilding, making things light but strong.
Ken

Just pulling your leg. In inches it's .046 or close to 18g a. Have a good one.

Remember you are buying metal by the pound so as wbvs58 mentions, go as light as possible. 16ga will work well but sometimes 14ga is the thinnest you will find. Try to make everything work with plain 4 x 8 sheets as they will be cheaper. Also take into consideration that the stock sheets will not be exactly square or exact lengths and widths. You might want to build your supports and then measure the sheet sizes you want and have a sheet metal shop cut them. It will make assembly a lot easier.

Latest posts