Sheep?

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
First of all, I'm doing an assignment on the behaviour of domestic animals, and was originally going to do cattle but apparently I can't 'cause our steers are due to be going shortly, and I don't want to look at the neighbors cattle even though I could but just out of personal preferences chose not to.

So, now I come to my second-of-all point. I'm now doing sheep just for something different and to learn about a different species of farm animal (besides, I know a LOT about behaviour of cattle as it is already) and since there's a sheep herd out at the farm in the city (University farm, that is...) which only a few minutes drive from where I'm staying.

Okay, now that the boring stuff is out, I have a little problem. I have to do some extra researching about behaviour of sheep (that's my topic I'm working on), and thought I might ask on here if anybody had anything that they might want to let me in on about anything regarding sheep. Which would be a big help.

There are a few things here and there that I sort of know, but I'm still clueless about the whole sheep thing.

I got a bit longwinded there, sorry about that.

But does anybody know anything about sheep?? ANYTHING??

One other thing. I hate chickens, don't like pigs all that much, and as for dairy cattle, I'm not a fan of them.(no offense to the dairy farmers on here)
Oh, and I don't know anybody real well locally that have goats or horses (neighbors who do have some moved away).

So sheep it is, and sheep it will have to be! ;-) :)

When it comes to range maggots, coyotes have the right answer.

dun

Worked a year for a man that had sheep. I know what I learned and what I was taught.

Kill any dog that starts to chase em before the dog runs them to death.

It is a hot and nasty job to shear the suckers.

That sums up my knowledge.

Oh, one more thing. After shearing sheep, your hands get soft.

Jogeephus":20m62mr2 said:
Oh, one more thing. After shearing sheep, your hands get soft.

That makes sense because of the lanolin in the wool. Hey, I might have to get a few sheep to shear to offset the hay, fencing, picking up sticks, etc! Thanks, Jogeephus!

I know some and can point you in the direction of someone who knows more.

you can ask me questions and I will try to answer

I know right much about sheep--
can you narrow down your needs a little ?????

I have bred; Wiltipers, Dorpers and Mutton Merinos,some of which were crossed to IIl De France rams as terminals.
The first two breeds on range, the Merinos on planted pasture using Border Collies to 'work' them.
If you have specific questions, I will answer them as best I can, but remember this will be specific to Southern Africa as far as parasites and diseases are concerned,most other topics should be pretty much the same as sheep are as stupid wherever they live!

Sheep tails go down,goat tails go up--hope this is of some use

:heart: :lol:

there are more sheep than humans in New Zealand, and an awful lot in Australia, ask Colin Australian Cattleman he might be able to help. ;-)

Gale Seddon":1degsdnw said:
ILuvABbeef, this might be a little late, but perhaps it will help. There's a sheep board on the Homesteading Today site:

http://homesteadingtoday.com/vb/

Wow, THANK YOU Gale, I saved that in my favorites as soon as I looked at it!

To everyone else, my topic is GENERALLY behaviour, such as aggressive behaviour toward other herdmates (like head butting in cattle is a sign of pecking order), or different types of social behviour, things like that. I really haven't chosen what type of behaviour in sheep I might write about, because I want to have a good idea of what to expect and look for in all kinds of behaviour. On second thought, I might go into aggressive behaviour, but I'm still uncertain about that.

Okay, now since you folks want a question from me, how 'bout this: What types of aggressive behoavior do sheep show in the herd, is it similar to cattle, different, or?

Thanks . Oh yeah, you can PM me if you have something you might want only me to know if you want, I have no problem with that.

Sheep are pretty nonagressive towards each other. Only time you see some pecking order is at a feed bunk-- .
If you watch you can see the dominant ewe- the rest seem to be just looking for someone to take charge :)
In fact when I got my donkey the flock seemed grateful incliuding the dominanat ewe to turn over control.

If I were doing sheep-- the most interesting quality they have nature wise is their flocking instinct-- and how the more domesticated breeds have a much higher level than the more feral breeds. Humans are the selecting factor in flocking genetic traits(along with several other odities that were selected for- for instance some Dorset lines are so domesticated that you can just about throw any lamb at them and they'll take it gladly).

Also of interest is that its the flocking instinct being so strong-- that leads to the saying

"A sheep is born looking for a place to die"

It takes a real good eye- to spot a sheep that feels off
Their flocking instinct is so strong in most commercial breeds that they will blend into the flock till they are in REAL bad shape- there by when you spot them they are beyond treating.

Sheep are concidered "stupid" but thats when they are being handled without taking into account their flocking instincts-- which can be obessive compulsive.
They are very predicatable and you can "play" billairds with a whole flock by pressureing one spot on the whole group. More so than any other animal( domesticated ducks come close).
Its when you try and split them up or move only a part-that you can count on them to act stupid-it goes against their nature.

Thanks Karen, after I read that I now think I have a better idea of where I'm going with this assignment. Flocking instinct!

If yall don't mind, I just might post some pics tomorrow of the sheep that I'll be studying at the Univ. farm. They're a really neat breed, maybe some of you folks can tell me what they are. They're not the african desert type sheep, more like the Romanov breed or something like that. I'll show you the pics tomorrow.

An interesting topic to persue; the use of 'Judas' goats in abattoirs taking advantage of their instinct,and Soay sheep, which do not flock, being a more primitive type.
Are your College sheep possibly Karakul?

"judas goat"

Good one AndyBob

Does anyone know why they use a goat instead of another sheep???

Latest posts