Shedding Baby Hair/Pre-Season Shearing

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
County Fair just ended for us which means that we'll get more calves about mid-October.
A question I have is how do you get a calf to get rid of all of it's baby hair and grow new hair by show time? If our county fair is in the beginning of August, when should the calf have lost all of it's baby hair.

I have also heard about slick shearing cattle 90-120 days before a show. Does this help new hair growth or what?

I have also heard about slick shearing cattle 90-120 days before a show. Does this help new hair growth or what?

I've heard that too, and while I've never done it, they seemed very "proud" that they did it. I think if I had a group of calves I'd try it on a couple to see.

On black cattle for them to loose their baby hair I've seen them clip it off. Don't know details, but thats just what I've seen.

What my friend did with her steer was she would wash him once in the morning before being fed and again late afternoon before feeding him dinner. It promoted hair growth and the hair was really soft. you can try that and see if it helps them grow out of their baby hair sooner. Another boy from a 4-H group uses a cold box. He washes his steers then puts them in this big air-conditioned box all day. Which i dont agree with but it was the lack of sun. The more shade they have the more their hair will grow.